[GAME] Picky Leaks

xavier...@gmail.com

May 7, 2017, 8:49:00 AM5/7/17
to PuzzleScript
Hi there,

I just finished my first PuzzleScript game. Here it is :

http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=9954f49fe3784cf07a3b9d8d4c7c1810

The game is based on mechanics of the old windows 3.1 game WOWspill.

Look at the source code if you are interested on how to make a time counter in a realtime game and/or want to see how to implement a Tetris/Puyo style pieces preview. That's what I wanted to learn from this project.

Let me know if you enjoyed the game (or not) or if it's usefull for your own project.

Chris Pickel

May 9, 2017, 11:06:03 AM5/9/17
to xavier...@gmail.com, PuzzleScript
Interesting. I played through to the end and the final animation was a nice touch.

Especially in the later levels, I felt like I was at the mercy of the random number generator. Sometimes I would get three horizontal bars in a row and solve a level easily, and sometimes they would never come. Are you familiar with Tetris's bag algorithm? The game has a bag with one of each pieces, pulls random pieces from it until empty, then refills the bag, so you can never get too many bad pieces in a row. I think it would be a natural fit for this game too.

Xavier Direz

May 9, 2017, 3:14:52 PM5/9/17
to PuzzleScript, xavier...@gmail.com
Thank you for your feedback. You're right, the RNG is a bit frustrating.
I know about Tetris RNG principle but I'm not familiar enough with puzzlescript to come up with a solution for the moment.

Here is how I ideally could make it  : generating a sorted list of pieces (for example 5 of each kind) and then shuffle them to pick them sequentially.

But in puzzlescript, I don't know if it's possible to do so.

Do you have some advice about it ?

Hand-E-Food

May 9, 2017, 10:37:49 PM5/9/17
to PuzzleScript, xavier...@gmail.com
One way to create a shuffled bag is to create an object called Bag, place it in the front layer.  Create a legend that includes Bag and Wall and place six in a row away from the play area.  The Wall obscures the piece behind it.  Check if all Bag objects have no pieces on them.  If so, put a specific SpawnPiece into each Bag.

& = Bag and Wall

[Bag no NorthSouthOFF|Bag no NorthEastOFF|Bag no SouthEastOFF|Bag no NorthWestOFF|Bag no SouthWestOFF|Bag no WestEastOFF] -> [Bag NorthSouthOFF|Bag NorthEastOFF|Bag SouthEastOFF|Bag NorthWestOFF|Bag SouthWestOFF|Bag WestEastOFF]

Now you can draw from the bag with:

[Current no SpawnPiece][Spawn SpawnPiece] -> [Current SpawnPiece][Spawn]
random [Spawn no SpawnPiece][Bag SpawnPiece] -> [Spawn SpawnPiece][Bag]

Xavier Direz

May 10, 2017, 4:24:49 PM5/10/17
to PuzzleScript, xavier...@gmail.com
Thanks a lot, that's just what I needed !
I updated the project. I hope that it's more pleasant to play from now on :)