Bal-Ru's Curse cruelty-free demake

CHz

Dec 28, 2015, 10:59:33 PM12/28/15
to PuzzleScript
The Obscuritory just posted about an old Windows puzzle game I've never heard of and it intrigued me a little:

But Bal Ru watches over the game, looking for opportunities to torment you. Every so often, randomly, Bal Ru will rearrange the board and swap the directions balls can move. This trickery happens frequently as Bal Ru’s mood worsens from “Amused” to “Peeved” to “Angry,” sometimes as quickly as thirty seconds apart.

The ball-switching puzzle is challenging enough without Bal Ru’s interference. With the added twist, the game regularly resets and is almost unplayable.

So here's a quick, no-frills version I slapped together without the evil, so you can play it as slowly as you'd like. Didn't think it was super difficult, but the "teamwork" aspect of using blocks to move other blocks was kind of cool.

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 29, 2015, 10:20:02 AM12/29/15
to CHz, PuzzleScript
aah cool.  I finished a level.  How much do you think having designated rows affects the game? (rather than just arranging things into rows in any arrangement)

CHz

Dec 29, 2015, 7:28:56 PM12/29/15
to PuzzleScript
The original has designated rows so I never thought about removing them, but I'm not sure that any configuration of rows is more difficult to assemble than any other so it probably doesn't add much. My general strategy is to solve two rows so that what's left to solve are an adjacent horizontal and vertical row, and that works regardless of row configuration.

I made a version without the row constraints and I kind of like the freedom!

It's fun making patterns too, solving gets a little different when you have to mix orientations.

Message has been deleted

CHz

Dec 29, 2015, 10:29:10 PM12/29/15
to PuzzleScript
Oh I just noticed that Google Groups automatically collapsed the second pic I posted at the end into the quoted text.

I think I actually have to write something beneath it to prevent that from happening.

Stephen Lavelle

Dec 30, 2015, 4:47:09 PM12/30/15
to CHz, PuzzleScript
The freeform one feels maybe a bit too free. Have you tried designing (non-random) levels? might be fun...

Connorses

Jan 14, 2016, 12:15:26 AM1/14/16
to PuzzleScript
oooo I like this! It reminds me of the Shipwright puzzle from Puzzle Pirates because you have to move the pieces kind of the same "teamwork" way, except in Shipwright you have to match patterns from your queue to patterns on the board as well.