[Game] Blockworks

Pedro PSI

Feb 9, 2018, 3:50:46 PM2/9/18
to PuzzleScript

I've made a new game.

It is an Action Puzzle: you need to plan your moves but also on occasion to move with precise timing.

Do let me know whether you find the the game enjoyable, the controls not too tricky and the difficulty not impossible!

Pedro

About Blockworks

Place the blue X Block at the goal (white arrow).

Take advantage of power blocks by thinking creatively and acting timely.

7 levels only comprise this action puzzle.

Good luck!

http://pedropsi.github.io/blockworks

How to play

Control your avatar with the arrow keys.

Press X on top of a Block to pick it, press X again to drop it.

Press R to restart the level.

Music:

Nowhere land by Kevin McLeod (https://incompetech.com/)

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Ove Ahlman

Feb 11, 2018, 11:58:36 AM2/11/18
to PuzzleScript
Impressions
Level 1: Sokoban but with downwards gravity and pick up crates. Neat. AWESOME MUSIC!!!
Level 2: Oh... real time moving element... uh.. this is frustrating. Especially since it speeds up when you press a movement direction or action which feels unfair/hopeless. I feel like I didn't really learn that much on this level more than I pushed through it and just got it done by mashing.
Level 3: Uh... what? This level seems to be on such a completely different level. We have neutral boxes, and need to suddenly manipulate the moving things, and then we also need to , somehow, go up or make the box move upwards which is also a "new" thing. I tried around for like 10 minutes on this level without feeling like I got anywhere or even had a thought about what was supposed to happen, and then quit. I also discovered that undo was not avalible which felt especially frustrating on this level when you had a long elaborate solution in mind, but then missed a move.

So my suggestion is that have more introductory levels (between 2 and 3) showing of the mechanics and getting the correct thoughts into their mind regarding the puzzles. If it is possible to do (and not just something with puzzlescrip-real time [I don't know]) then I also sugest removing the speed up when pressing buttons.

Thank you for the game though, It surely has potential I think.

Alan Hazelden

Feb 11, 2018, 7:13:50 PM2/11/18
to Ove Ahlman, PuzzleScript
I had a similar reaction to level 3! It's a really harsh difficulty curve.

edderiofer

Feb 12, 2018, 2:33:51 PM2/12/18
to PuzzleScript
Agreed, level 2 is already unfun due to the speed at which you need to do things. Level 3 is just ridiculous, not just because of the fact I have no idea what to do, but also that in order to move a box from the right to the left, you have to wait for the dart to hit you then rush all the way to the right; one mistimed input and you have to start the whole thing all over again because the box just ends up on a step that you can't get to. The lack of undo makes it even worse.

There's potential, maybe, but the levels so far are just... eh.

--Edd.

Pedro PSI

Feb 13, 2018, 7:43:35 AM2/13/18
to PuzzleScript

Hi Ove, Alan & Edd,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback!

Since the feedback was unanimous (and I tend to agree), I've added one extra level (now lvl.2) at the beginning to smoothen the difficulty curve and completely redone the first kite level (previously lvl.2, now lvl3) to make it more interesting, puzzlewise. Previous lvl3 has also been pushed later into the game but now without the annoying the little trap.

Let's see whether everyone finds the game more enjoyable now (8 levels) and whether anyone can actually reach the end :)

As a side note, the difficulty is meant to be (quite) hard, but not impossible.

Pedro

PS:

- Noundo doesn't work well with the realtime element (you would have to press z repeatedly). This is also part of the challenge! :)

- I don't know yet how to solve the speedup issue, but it is definitely solvable (time permitting).

Message has been deleted

Nils Jung

Feb 13, 2018, 12:00:20 PM2/13/18
to PuzzleScript
Regarding the speedup issue:

I don't know how you structured your code but maybe just adding the line

[MOVING Player] [> MovingThing] -> [MOVING Player] [MovingThing]

would be enough to solve it?

Pedro PSI

Feb 13, 2018, 7:39:15 PM2/13/18
to PuzzleScript
Hi Nils,

thanks fot your suggestion, I think the speedup problem is solved.

The solution is similar to what you suggested: a marker (K) only appears anew each turn if the player is not moving,
[k]->[no k]
[stationary player]->[player K]

which then is required to initiate all rules concerning gravity and the movement of the kites.
down [k][symbol]->[k][down symbol]
etc...

CHz

Feb 13, 2018, 9:40:25 PM2/13/18
to PuzzleScript
Checkpointing after showing the "tread carefully" message in the first replicator level can trap the player in an unwinnable state, because there's no way to return to the start of the level. An easy example would be dropping a replicator onto the lower right goal and then triggering the message.

Pedro PSI

Feb 14, 2018, 6:06:50 AM2/14/18
to CHz, PuzzleScript
Thanks! Well spotted - it's removed now.

Glad you made it so far!

Pedro PSI

Feb 18, 2018, 6:15:34 PM2/18/18
to PuzzleScript
Anyone managed to actually reach the end ? :)