[GAME] Fireproof Bomber

MarcinK

Mar 19, 2017, 5:46:08 PM3/19/17
to PuzzleScript
Hi, I've made a thing:

So far only a few levels.
Please tell me if there is a better way of doing some of the more hacked things - mainly the animation of fireball propagation.

Hand-E-Food

Mar 19, 2017, 6:42:45 PM3/19/17
to PuzzleScript
I always like a new thing!  It looks great.  TNT chains are fun!  :-D

At first I was very confused about the rules.  I thought the red square was the bomb, so I moved the crates near it to detonate them, but then couldn't work out what to do.  I later worked out I could drop the bomb anywhere which made more sense.  Maybe the exit needs to look more like a gate, closed or open?

Pushing crates is different to how I've seen it in most games.  Usually the player follows the crate when he pushes it.  Was it intentional to make this a two-step process?  If not, you can use this to make pushing crates more fluid.  It tells it to continue moving the player as well as the crate.

[> Player | Crate] -> [> Player | > Crate]
[> Player | TNT]   -> [> Player | > TNT]

I look forward to going through the rest of these.

Hand-E-Food

Mar 19, 2017, 6:45:35 PM3/19/17
to PuzzleScript
Oh, and I don't think you need noundo for this puzzle.  That's more for real-time games or puzzles with random elements.  It becomes frustrating having to redo an entire puzzle because of one slip up.

Alan Hazelden

Mar 19, 2017, 8:58:27 PM3/19/17
to Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
Nice explosion graphics!

The behaviour in the "chicken run" level is very confusing - introducing in-level bomb-storage and infinite bombs in the same level is weird - I didn't read that object as "that's where my bombs come from"

I 100% agree about not wanting noundo.

Adding "again" at the end of a rule will make it trigger another turn without player input, you should be able to use this to make the explosions happen all at once.

On 19 March 2017 at 18:45, Hand-E-Food <hand_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Oh, and I don't think you need noundo for this puzzle.  That's more for real-time games or puzzles with random elements.  It becomes frustrating having to redo an entire puzzle because of one slip up.

That Scar

Mar 20, 2017, 7:45:38 AM3/20/17
to PuzzleScript
TNT's fuse is pretty much invisible, it looks too much like background, maybe just make the TNT a fuse-less block of alternating bars?
You could maybe make the exit look like stairs?
Making levels is hard with these wall tiles (and they look ugly right now, imo). A notable example would be Draknek's Boxes Love Boxing Gloves. As you can see in the levels, all the walls are just '#', which is probably the main benefit.
This thing sounds like something interesting to be discovered and a puzzle in itself, so it's a potential spoiler (highlight it): It's not apparent that you recover from blowing yourself up and can still place bombs, is this intentional? Is this useful in some future level? Because that would sound pretty cool.
Finally, about the fire propagation: I'm not sure why you would want the FireDummy objects, they seem completely optional.
[Fire1Center] -> [Fire1CenterDummy] sfx1
            late [Fire1CenterDummy] -> [Fire2Center]
is almost the same as
[Fire1Center] -> [Fire2Center] sfx1
because you never use the Dummy objects. Even if you would, you probably could just use Fire2Center instead instead of Fire1CenterDummy. The 'late' keyword isn't something you should even need in your game, because it's meant for executing commands after movement, which is just before the player sees the game rendered. This is useful when you want to, for example, trigger a pressure plate when the player pushes a crate on it, rather than the next turn. The computer does it like "Normal commands -> Movement -> Late commands" but the Movement part doesn't really change anything in your game.
Finally, why is the last level so visually confusing? It's all about pushing TNT but there's a tiny segment that you have to blow up for no reason and you're also given the ability to reload bombs, even though 2 is enough AND the level is named Run even though no running needs to be involved?