[GAME] Vacuum

Hand-E-Food

Aug 25, 2016, 12:59:48 AM8/25/16
to PuzzleScript
Vacuum

That micro-meteor storm came out of nowhere!
My shuttle is badly damaged.  My engines are stuttering.  My comms are out.  I need help fast.
There's a space station with another shuttle docked there.  I have to dock there.

This is one, long, continuous puzzle.  Keep your patience as you try to survive the space station.  Think ahead and try not to trap yourself.

The game has checkpoints, but it is possible to save the game in an impossible state.  I expect you'll have to restart the game from scratch at least once.

All feedback is welcome as always! :-)

Good luck!

CHz

Aug 25, 2016, 4:15:21 AM8/25/16
to PuzzleScript
I don't really have any significant input here besides to say that that was super good. Completion time somewhere around an hour, reset a few times at the outset before figuring out the point, and then once more afterward when I was about halfway through (which may not have been necessary, in retrospect).

Alan Hazelden

Aug 25, 2016, 6:55:59 AM8/25/16
to Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
Very cool! Working through it slowly.

One suggestion: it would be good if the "you can press R to reset" message didn't show up every time after I press R to reset.

Hand-E-Food

Aug 25, 2016, 8:20:32 AM8/25/16
to PuzzleScript
Thanks for the feedback!  It alleviates my fear that parts of the game may have been too tedious.

Alan, I've fixed up the restart message bug.  You should be able to continue your game, immediately save a new checkpoint, and the message should be gone permanently after that.

Chris Pickel

Aug 25, 2016, 9:05:51 AM8/25/16
to Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
WARNING: Slight spoilers for anyone that hasn't finished it yet!

That was great. Did you time it so that the power run took exactly 99 oxygen? The few seconds from "Damn, still too slow" to "…wait, it's pressurizing?" to "yes!" made for a really great moment. I also liked how the rooms on the right seemed to become less relevant but then I needed them again to optimize the path between power systems.

I think I would have appreciated the key-repeat being a little faster? I used Z to rewind more than R to restart, and I think the key repeat applies to Z. Other than that, it seemed to be pretty much perfectly done.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 2:20 PM Hand-E-Food <hand_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the feedback!  It alleviates my fear that parts of the game may have been too tedious.

Alan, I've fixed up the restart message bug.  You should be able to continue your game, immediately save a new checkpoint, and the message should be gone permanently after that.

Jack Lance

Aug 25, 2016, 3:54:29 PM8/25/16
to PuzzleScript, hand_...@hotmail.com
This was great!

One minor thing:
It's possible to push crates from one room to the next, and judging by the blockers on the door spaces, it seems like this should not be possible.

Other than that, very fun sequencing! It was really cool getting to access more and more of the spaceship, without the rules ever changing, all within one large puzzle.

Alan Hazelden

Aug 25, 2016, 4:18:29 PM8/25/16
to Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
It looks like now there's no confirmation when I save? Not sure if that's a bug or an intentional change, but I think it should always do something, whether that's showing a message or flashing the graphics briefly.

Just completed it. That final setpiece before the end is great! Good work :)

On 25 August 2016 at 13:20, Hand-E-Food <hand_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the feedback!  It alleviates my fear that parts of the game may have been too tedious.

Alan, I've fixed up the restart message bug.  You should be able to continue your game, immediately save a new checkpoint, and the message should be gone permanently after that.

Stephen Lavelle

Aug 25, 2016, 6:38:24 PM8/25/16
to Alan Hazelden, Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
(suggestion - checkpoint after getting through the airlock/getting into the first room?)

Stephen Lavelle

Aug 25, 2016, 6:54:30 PM8/25/16
to Alan Hazelden, Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
(wait, I'm still playing it - I see that that's not so important now that I can just return to the spaceship I don't need to restart so often - I can just refuel)

Hand-E-Food

Aug 26, 2016, 2:52:54 AM8/26/16
to PuzzleScript, hand_...@hotmail.com, jack.l...@gmail.com
WTF?!  I must have changed that after testing it.  This is fixed now.  Thanks!

Hand-E-Food

Aug 26, 2016, 2:54:45 AM8/26/16
to PuzzleScript, hand_...@hotmail.com
There's an audible confirmation, but I'm guessing you, like I often do, play without sound.  A quick animation sounds good, but I'm conscious that will break any existing save games.  Maybe I'll do it and damn those who haven't finished it in one sitting yet?  :-P

Hand-E-Food

Aug 26, 2016, 3:01:01 AM8/26/16
to PuzzleScript, hand_...@hotmail.com
I made the repeat a bit slow to give the feel of space walking.  But you're right, it's more useful for rewind than it is for playing. I'll change that now.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

Thanks for that feedback!  I wanted the player to prepare a perfect route for the power run.  I expected it to be close, within 3 steps.  When it coincidentally came out that close, I tweaked the rules to cause exactly the reaction you describe.  I'm so glad it was worth the effort!  :-D

Stephen Lavelle

Aug 26, 2016, 6:23:27 AM8/26/16
to Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
Finished this, and really enjoyed it. To get through it I ended up modifying the again-speed to be much faster, though.

Great work! :)

Stephen Lavelle

Aug 26, 2016, 7:10:31 PM8/26/16
to Hand-E-Food, PuzzleScript
I opened it up in the map editor and noted the moon phases that I hadn't paid attention to up close - which is a super lovely touch! :D
Message has been deleted

Hand-E-Food

Nov 14, 2016, 7:45:35 PM11/14/16
to PuzzleScript
SPOILER 1: You may have optimized the route through each room.  Have you optimized the route through the station or are you walking through more rooms than necessary?

SPOILER 2: Have you opened the door between rooms 24 and 25?

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 2:16:34 AM UTC+11, Ilija wrote:
Ummm, I'm able to enter just one other room (when there are multiple doors) at every room. All other doors are somehow blocked. Am I missing something? I'm able to reach room 44 with 1 step available and I'm pretty sure I minimized everything. Am I stupid or what?

Breogán Hackett

Nov 15, 2016, 4:01:27 PM11/15/16
to PuzzleScript
I have really enjoyed this game. However as I get further into the space station I realize that I'm not going to be able to make it. Overall I feel that the start is a little bit confusing but I appreciate the overall story and mehanics. The sprite work was quite nice and the use of sfx was very nice.

Hand-E-Food

Nov 16, 2016, 1:13:19 AM11/16/16
to PuzzleScript
Thanks for the feedback!  So I know for future, what had you confused at the start of the game?

recher_ps...@yahoo.fr

Nov 26, 2016, 6:25:08 PM11/26/16
to PuzzleScript
An open-word soko-ban ! Really fun.

I thought twice that I put myself in an impossible state :
- I did not totally optimised the room 41, and thought it was really necessary due to its particularity.
- I blocked a door, so that I could go from 35 to 34 only in one sense.

But anyway, I managed to escape the station in many "R-key" retries, but never without having to start over.

Thank you, your game hooked me to its end.

Ali Nikkhah

Jun 24, 2017, 6:42:21 AM6/24/17
to PuzzleScript
I played the game a few weeks ago, I was cautious from the beginning so I didn't have to start from scratch or even save (until I got stuck and gave up). I got to the point where I could go around the station and open the way to the room where I could unclamp the second part, but I hadn't figured out how to shorten the path to the room where I could activate the second spaceship, so I gave up. After playing your recent game, I went back and figured out I have to push a block from another room in an aha-moment and finished the game. A very clever puzzle game, indeed! And I really liked the sound effects, very appropriately chosen!

Virelsa

Jul 1, 2017, 6:16:00 PM7/1/17
to PuzzleScript
I really like this concept for a puzzle game - very thematic indeed. I'm working my way through it slowly, though I was a bit confused with how the doors worked at first and it took me a while to notice the patches on the floor that impede the crates' movement. Now I've overcome those (mainly self-imposed) hurdles, I'm making progress and enjoying the journey.

The contents of the vacuum crates raised a chuckle!