Reductive Labs people

1 view

Luke Kanies

Oct 23, 2009, 7:31:02 PM10/23/09
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've been hesitant to send Reductive Labs updates to the community
lists, but I've been told that not knowing who works for us makes some
communication difficult.

So, I'm going to start sending notifications when we bring people on
(at least, those I expect to spend time in the community), and I'll
start with a list of people we've brought on recently.

Markus Roberts and Rein Henrichs have joined as developers, and Bruce
Williams will be working with them starting in November.

Markus has been working in the computer industry since the 1900's,
when computers were large, slow, and simple, and programming them was
still pretending to be a branch of mathematics instead of a black
art. He has programmed professionally in over two dozen languages
(several of which he wrote) and unprofessionally in many more. He
prides himself on his design and debugging skills, which are
objectively verifiable, and his sense of humour, which is not.

Rein started out in the design world but quickly discovered an
affinity for development. He's fond of talking to people about
patterns and practices and other ideas that can help write better
software. He occasionally writes software of his own in an attempt to
put those practices into practice, so to speak. Rein is most fond of
Ruby, but has found endearing qualities in a number of languages, from
Haskell to Smalltalk to Intercal, and even Perl, and enjoys the new
perspective he gains by learning an unfamiliar language.

As a Ruby developer since 2001, Bruce Williams has been pleased to see
his favorite OO language rise out of obscurity the last few years --
and pay the bills in the process. Bruce has contributed to or served
as the technical editor for a number of Ruby-related books, speaks at
conferences when inspiration strikes, and is an aimless open source
hacker, language designer, graphic artist, photographer, amateur
chef... and serial enthusiast in his copious free time.

Dan Bode will be helping with training, professional services, and
whatever else we can convince him to do.

Dan is joining Reductive Labs after completing his consulting world
tour; with stops in London, Osaka, Budapest, and finally Vienna. Dan
will miss speaking broken Hungarian and German, but cant wait to
indulge in the conveniences of America, like take-out food and
shopping on Sundays. He has just completed an audit trail and
compliance based IT solution for his customer in Vienna using Puppet.
He enjoyed working with Puppet and immediately saw that its
flexibility and functionality made it a great tool for creating some
really cool automation solutions. He has also enjoyed learning ruby
and thinks that it might actually inspire him to get back into
programming.

Scott Campbell has joined us as our VP of Sales, business development,
and whatever else he can convince me to do to make money.

Scott's primary goal in life is to make sure that his daughters get
their education paid for. Being slightly masochistic, Scott has made
a career in leading the sales efforts of several successful software
startup organizations, taking them from their early stages of sales
and marketing traction to leaders in their respective marketplaces.
Most recently, he spent 4 years heading the world-wide sales
organization at Jive Software. Joining the organization as one of the
first employees, Scott guided Jive to a leadership position in the
emerging Web 2.0 space. In a more relevant vein to Puppet, prior to
Jive, Scott spent 6 years at Tripwire, Inc., a provider of enterprise
compliance and configuration management solutions. While at Tripwire,
he lead the Western Region Field Sales organization. Before Tripwire,
he spent 5 years at Rogue Wave Software, a maker of C++ and Java
development tools. At Rogue Wave, Scott held several roles including
the Director of Business Development, Director of Western Region
Sales, and Director of Inside sales.

Lastly, Andrew Shafer has left Reductive Labs.

We'll also be maintaining a 'Team' page on our site that hopefully
covers this same information, which you should be able to use as a
handy reference.

--
Get forgiveness now -- tomorrow you may no longer feel guilty.
Luke Kanies | http://reductivelabs.com | http://madstop.com

Nigel Kersten

Oct 26, 2009, 12:32:37 PM10/26/09
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Luke Kanies <lu...@madstop.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been hesitant to send Reductive Labs updates to the community
> lists, but I've been told that not knowing who works for us makes some
> communication difficult.

++ to doing this Luke. This is really useful to know.
--
nigel

Steve Wray

Dec 3, 2009, 9:00:06 PM12/3/09
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Luke Kanies wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been hesitant to send Reductive Labs updates to the community
> lists, but I've been told that not knowing who works for us makes some
> communication difficult.

[snip]
> Rein started out in the design world but quickly discovered an
> affinity for development. He's fond of talking to people about
> patterns and practices and other ideas that can help write better
> software. He occasionally writes software of his own in an attempt to
> put those practices into practice, so to speak. Rein is most fond of
> Ruby, but has found endearing qualities in a number of languages, from
> Haskell to Smalltalk to Intercal, and even Perl, and enjoys the new
> perspective he gains by learning an unfamiliar language.

Does this mean we will get Intercal support in Puppet soon?

Perhaps Intercal could ultimately replace Ruby?

I hear that Intercal is destined to be the language of choice for Quantum
Computing, having advanced non-deterministic/spooky-action-at-a-distance
features such as 'comefrom' instead of 'goto'.

;)

James Turnbull

Dec 3, 2009, 9:58:23 PM12/3/09
to puppet...@googlegroups.com