Automate adding new host to nagios server?

Brent Clark

Oct 11, 2012, 11:03:05 AM10/11/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Good day

I was wondering if someone could help me.

Say I have three servers. One puppet master, one webserver, and one nagios server.

Is there a way to automate the process of adding the web server to the nagios server for monitoring via a puppet.

If someone could assists, or suggest a better means, it would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Brent Clark

Bernd Adamowicz

Oct 11, 2012, 11:48:08 AM10/11/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
See:

* http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/exported_resources.html or
* http://www.bernd-adamowicz.de/12/puppet-stored-configurations-and-icinga/

Cheers,
Bernd

Peter Brown

Oct 11, 2012, 7:13:14 PM10/11/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
That's how I do it as well.
It's extremely amazing once you get it setup right.

On a side note I am intending to put my nagios modules on github
soonish so if you are willing to wait that may be an option for you.

Brent Clark

Oct 12, 2012, 3:53:29 AM10/12/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Sir

Thank you so much.

Kind Regards
Brent Clark

Oliver Schad

Oct 13, 2012, 5:20:02 PM10/13/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
As others already said, there exists exported resources. But IMHO is
puppet not very good for exchanging information between hosts und you
shouldn't use the exported resources much.

Instead you should model your hosts somewhere else, maybe in hiera or
in a complete other DB and transform this model in something puppet can
use.

Puppet is *not* a model of your environment, it's a config management
system, host by host.

Regards
Oli