Clarification/Question re: Puppet 3.8, Cloud Provisioner, and VMWare

iand...@gmail.com

May 8, 2015, 9:56:01 AM5/8/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hopefully quick question about Puppet 3.8 and Cloud Provisioner. We're getting ready to upgrade to 3.8 PE and I noticed this in the 3.8 documentation:

"Important: Cloud Provisioner is deprecated in PE 3.8, and will be removed in future versions of PE. We recommend that you see the AWS supported module for cloud provisioning."

Currently, we're only interested in VM creation with VMWare / vSphere and the node_vmware method seems to be exactly what we want to do. Is the entirety of Cloud Privisioner deprecated in 3.8, or just the particular AWS provisioner? If the entire thing is deprecated, what's the alternative for VMWare / vSphere? (Hopefully without switching / setting up an entire Razor infrastructure.)
-Ian D.

Mike Coleman

May 8, 2015, 2:37:20 PM5/8/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Ian -

I'm the product manager for modules and provisioning here at Puppet Labs.

We are replacing (and hopefully) enhancing the CP capabilities we're deprecating around both AWS (we've already shipped that module) and vSphere. The vSphere capabilities are currently under development, and, while I can't provide an exact date, will be out before CP disappears.

If you have specific use cases you're interested in, I'd love to hear about them (mike.c...@puppetlabs.com).

Regards,
Mike

Matt

Jul 17, 2015, 12:37:39 PM7/17/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
It appears in PE 3.8.1 there is puppetlabs/aws but nothing to replace node_vmware functionality to provision vmware vm's.  I cannot find a module, am I missing something ?