RE:-Configuring 1000 servers to install software packages in one go.

Mo Green

Aug 24, 2016, 10:53:00 AM8/24/16
to Puppet Users

Hi Everyone,

I am a developer new  Puppet and could I please ask a few questions

regarding how puppet works.

In a scenario where Puppet is configured to run on  approximately "1000"

servers so once can for example install  emacs  in one go.

Would the manual overhead only occur when :-

a) Configuring  the master/server puppet on one server and agent puppet

on the 1000 servers placing all 1000 agent hostnames IP addresses

on master and master/server puppet hostname /ip address on each agent server.

b) For a  manifest that installs a software package on the 1000 servers.

written on the master what other details are required in the to be compiled catalogue

server manifest  for new software to be installed on each individual server  by the agent.

May anyone have examples you could send or point me in the right direction.

.

Eg. Would you have to declare   (1000) nodes in the manifest?

class screen

{

  package { 'screen':

    ensure => 'installed',

  }

}

Many Thanks in advance.

Peter Faller

Aug 25, 2016, 1:00:06 AM8/25/16
to Puppet Users
You can use wildcarded node names in the manifest, if you have many hosts that require the same configuration.

Albert Shih

Aug 26, 2016, 5:00:10 PM8/26/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Le 24/08/2016 à 02:19:52-0700, Mo Green a écrit
I'm not sure to really understand what you try to do. But if the point is
to manage 1000 server from scratch you can :

Install you puppet server

Activate de autosign.conf for you domain.

Put inside you

manifests/site.pp

something like

node default {
hiera_inlcude('classes')
}

inside your hieradata/common.yaml

classes :
- my_roles:default_role

inside the file

modules/my_roles/manifests/default.role.pp

you can put

package { 'screen' : ensure => 'installed' }

To deploy puppet on your node, if you really have 1000 node, some good
point is to put the installation and configuration of puppet inside your
deploiement script (depend on what flavor of linux you use, but RedHat has
kickstart, Debian has fai etc..)

Or you can (even better) put everything inside you hieradata (list of
pacakge), in that way it's more easy to manage different OS, but I think if
you need 1000 nodes they are all the same so...

Regards.

> }
>
> Many Thanks in advance.
>
> --

Albert SHIH
DIO bâtiment 15
Observatoire de Paris
5 Place Jules Janssen
92195 Meudon Cedex
France
Téléphone : +33 1 45 07 76 26/+33 6 86 69 95 71
xmpp: j...@obspm.fr
Heure local/Local time:
ven 26 aoû 2016 22:51:59 CEST