puppet ignores storeconfig_backend in puppet.conf

Joseph Lorenzini

Aug 25, 2016, 3:34:04 PM8/25/16
to Puppet Users
Hi all,

I am encountered an odd behavior when i revoke a certificate on the puppet master. I see this error. I am using puppet 3.7.4 on CentOS 7.

Error: undefined method `verify_active_connections!' for ActiveRecord::Base:Class

This leads me to think that when a revocation is happening, the storeconfig_backend is set to activerecord. However, i have specifically configured /etc/puppet/puppet.conf to use puppetdb. Here's the master section in /etc/puppet.conf

[master]
    ssl_client_header = SSL_CLIENT_S_DN
    ssl_client_verify_header = SSL_CLIENT_VERIFY

    storeconfigs = true
    storeconfigs_backend = puppetdb
  #  reports = puppetdb,tagmail
    reports = puppetdb
    pluginsync=true

Does anyone know what might  be going on here?

Thanks,
Joe

Martin Alfke

Aug 26, 2016, 2:59:48 AM8/26/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,
Have you restarted the Puppet Server (or Master) process after doing the changes?

Best,
Martin

Joseph Lorenzini

Aug 26, 2016, 7:52:29 AM8/26/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

Yes I did several times. Here's what I find interesting. Puppetdb is fully functional and working for actually storing configs and retrieving data from the rest Api. In addition, if I downgrade the activesupport gem from 4.2.7 to 3.2, then the exception is no longer thrown when I revoke a certificate.

So I think everything seems fine and leads me to think that puppet may use activesupport for other internals and I just hit gem versioning issuing. I suspect I wouldn't be able to reproduce this problem on the latest version of puppet.

Joe