Puppet only partially applying configuration

Andrew

Jun 7, 2016, 1:15:51 PM6/7/16
to Puppet Users
I have encountered a problem when running puppet on Windows. My environment is as follows:

Puppet master:
CentOS 6.5
puppetserver 2.3.1

Client:
Windows 2012 R2
Puppet 3.8.7

What happens:

I provision a machine with razor and wait for the first Puppet run to complete. After puppet is finished, most resources from the manifests have been applied, but not all. I have looked in the local catalog, and the unapplied resources are present in the catalog. I can let Puppet run automatically as many times as I wish, and the resources will not be applied. However, if I open PowerShell or cmd and run "puppet agent -t" the remaining resources get applied as I would expect. There are some Puppet errors in the Windows event viewer, but they are not errors for the unapplied resources, and I do not do anything to address these errors before I run Puppet manually, so they seem unrelated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob Reynolds

Jun 17, 2016, 3:42:21 PM6/17/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
It would be good to get what you can provide for examples of things not applied and what the output of --debug --trace --verbose into a log (minus any sensitive data of course).

Some general things to consider:

  • The Puppet service by default runs under SYSTEM, and puppet agent -t is running under the context of the user.
  • The Puppet service is running with administrative permissions by default. You should also be running cmd.exe/PowerShell in an administrative (elevated) shell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob Reynolds
Developer, Puppet

PuppetConf 2016
, October 17-21, San Diego, California
Early Birds save $350 - Register by June 30th

Stephan Stankovic

Dec 6, 2016, 2:24:39 PM12/6/16
to Puppet Users
Hey Rob,

Sorry I have officially taken over the puppet management that Andrew used to do.
Some examples of things not being applied are applications such as git, also registry changes are not getting applied, like pinning various applications to the task bar.

With the general things to consider:
- When we run puppet agent -t we run it under the Administrator user, so could that be the issue??
- We do use PowerShell in an elevated shell.