Unclear Status Messages

Jon Forrest

Apr 23, 2014, 1:29:06 PM4/23/14
to puppet-users
I have the following resource:

package {
[ "PackageKit"]:
provider => 'yum',
ensure => purged,
}

The first time I run Puppet I get status message I expect, e.g.

Notice: /Stage[main]/Xoom/Package[PackageKit]/ensure: ensure changed
'0.5.8-21.el6' to 'purged'

I then run Puppet again without making any changes to either the host
or the Puppet master. I then get:

Notice: /Stage[main]/Xoom/Package[PackageKit]/ensure: created

This makes it look like Puppet created the PackageKit package, even
though I asked for it to be deleted. However, this package wasn't
actually installed, e.g.

# rpm -qa | fgrep PackageKit
#

Why would that second message appear? I didn't ask for the
package to be created, plus the package wasn't actually created.

Thanks,
Jon Forrest