puppet 5 upgrade seems to have caused multiple 500 error on server with file resources (to Windows clients)

jmp242

Jan 16, 2018, 2:08:23 PM1/16/18
to Puppet Users
We serve multiple file resources depending on configuration via puppet to Windows 7 and Windows 10 workstations using FLOSS puppet. This was working with puppet agent 1.10.4 on clients and with puppet server (and foreman fwiw) 4 on Scientific Linux 7.4. Since we upgraded puppet server to 5.latest we started having issues with deploying certain, random but consistent file resources that had worked on the earlier version. In the logs we see various Error 500 messages - but they all seem to be blank (i.e. no further info than: Failed to generate additional resources using 'eval_generate': Error 500 on SERVER: Server Error) or not googleable. The files are still there and permissions look the same to me on the server. The manifest code hasn't changed. What's weirder is it seems like some file resources served like this are working.

This problem is most prevalent with files served as a defined type so I wonder if something happened around that?
file { "DesignData-${title}":
    path
=> "C:/VaultWorkspace/${title}/Vault/Design Data",
    source
=> "puppet:///modules/inventor/Design Data",
    recurse
=> true,
    purge
=> true,

ensure  => present,

}

Example defined type that's now failing with the above... We feed in an array of users and that's still being parsed correctly - logs show things like:
//pc5102//Stage[main]/Inventor/Inventor::Designdata[username1]/File[DesignData-username1] :
Failed to generate additional resources using 'eval_generate': Error 500 on SERVER: Server Error

One other place that seems like a related file serving issue to me anyway is that I have an updated module to test (a forked reboot module) which I have deployed in my dev environment and code to use the new parameter, however when I try and apply the manifest I get errors - again 500 on server, this time that the new parameter doesn't exist. I'm wondering if this is also an issue with pluginsync or something like that so the client doesn't see the new module?

Any ideas as to what's gone wrong in the update?

Josh Cooper

Jan 16, 2018, 7:16:53 PM1/16/18
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

I think you're running into https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/SERVER-1954, which affects puppetserver 5.x and up. There was a change in behavior in the bidi library we use, which breaks serving files with URL special characters like spaces. So high likelihood of breaking Windows agents.

One other place that seems like a related file serving issue to me anyway is that I have an updated module to test (a forked reboot module) which I have deployed in my dev environment and code to use the new parameter, however when I try and apply the manifest I get errors - again 500 on server, this time that the new parameter doesn't exist. I'm wondering if this is also an issue with pluginsync or something like that so the client doesn't see the new module?

That sounds like a lack of environment isolation issue on the compile master. See https://puppet.com/docs/puppet/5.3/environment_isolation.html.

Any ideas as to what's gone wrong in the update?

Josh Cooper | Software Engineer

jmp242

Jan 17, 2018, 10:24:18 AM1/17/18
to Puppet Users
Thanks. How often should we run environment isolation? When we deploy new modules that have different parameters?

jmp242

Jan 26, 2018, 11:28:05 AM1/26/18
to Puppet Users
Any idea when the puppet server 5.1.5 will be released as referenced in that bug report?

Josh Cooper

Feb 21, 2018, 1:09:37 AM2/21/18
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

Puppetserver 5.1.5 was released January 31, and should resolve issues when serving files whose paths contain URI special characters: https://puppet.com/docs/puppetserver/5.2/release_notes.html#bug-fixes-1.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/e86e0df2-3a55-4e0d-9bc3-8e3930198abd%40googlegroups.com.