Puppet open-source EOLs

Ugo Bellavance

Dec 2, 2017, 8:14:34 PM12/2/17
to Puppet Users
Hi,

I did google quite a lot about this because we're currently using the EOL'd puppet 3.8 open-source and I'm planning the upgrade to a supported version. I don't understand how the new lifecycle works. Should I upgrade straight to 5 or will puppet 4 supported for a few years?  I have a puppet server and I user hiera for some data. We don't use puppetdb or any other fancy thing.  Our agents are only RHEL and CentOS.

Thanks,

Martin Alfke

Dec 3, 2017, 10:02:52 AM12/3/17
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ugo,

> On 03 Dec 2017, at 02:14, Ugo Bellavance <ug...@lubik.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I did google quite a lot about this because we're currently using the EOL'd puppet 3.8 open-source and I'm planning the upgrade to a supported version. I don't understand how the new lifecycle works. Should I upgrade straight to 5 or will puppet 4 supported for a few years? I have a puppet server and I user hiera for some data. We don't use puppetdb or any other fancy thing. Our agents are only RHEL and CentOS.

Regarding EOL and life cycle you can check the following two documents:

PE support lifecycle: https://puppet.com/misc/puppet-enterprise-lifecycle
PE and component versions: https://puppet.com/docs/pe/2017.3/overview/component_versions_in_recent_pe_releases.html

Upgrades from Puppet 3 to newer versions can be done by directly upgrading to Puppet 5.
In the first step you will check your existing code base and make it compatible to Puppet 4 (and later).
In the next step you can enable new features like Data Types (Puppet 4.0 and later) and Hiera in Environments (Puppet 4.9 and later)

Best,
Martin

Ugo Bellavance

Dec 3, 2017, 10:32:21 AM12/3/17
to Puppet Users

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 10:02:52 AM UTC-5, Martin Alfke wrote:
Hi Ugo,

> On 03 Dec 2017, at 02:14, Ugo Bellavance <ug...@lubik.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I did google quite a lot about this because we're currently using the EOL'd puppet 3.8 open-source and I'm planning the upgrade to a supported version. I don't understand how the new lifecycle works. Should I upgrade straight to 5 or will puppet 4 supported for a few years?  I have a puppet server and I user hiera for some data. We don't use puppetdb or any other fancy thing.  Our agents are only RHEL and CentOS.

Regarding EOL and life cycle you can check the following two documents:

PE support lifecycle: https://puppet.com/misc/puppet-enterprise-lifecycle
PE and component versions: https://puppet.com/docs/pe/2017.3/overview/component_versions_in_recent_pe_releases.html

Thanks for your quick response, it's the component versions document that I couldn't find. I think I'll target the next LTS version.

Upgrades from Puppet 3 to newer versions can be done by directly upgrading to Puppet 5.
In the first step you will check your existing code base and make it compatible to Puppet 4 (and later).

I have already started testing my code and modules against Puppet 4.

In the next step you can enable new features like Data Types (Puppet 4.0 and later) and Hiera in Environments (Puppet 4.9 and later)

Ok.they're not enabled by default?

If I understand correctly, Puppet switched to PC1 and weird numbers for puppet 4 and now Puppet 5 is in puppet5?

Thanks,

Antony Fomenko

Dec 5, 2017, 4:33:05 AM12/5/17
to Puppet Users
Hi.
You should update to Puppet 5. But if you use PuppetDB and want to save data you will have to make a stop in Puppet4 with latest PuppetDB 2.x, then update PuppetDB to 4.x and afterwards migrate to Puppet5 and PuppetDB5 due to Puppet5 incompatibility with PuppetDB 2.x

Ugo Bellavance

Dec 5, 2017, 4:15:59 PM12/5/17
to Puppet Users

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 4:33:05 AM UTC-5, Antony Fomenko wrote:
Hi.
You should update to Puppet 5. But if you use PuppetDB and want to save data you will have to make a stop in Puppet4 with latest PuppetDB 2.x, then update PuppetDB to 4.x and afterwards migrate to Puppet5 and PuppetDB5 due to Puppet5 incompatibility with PuppetDB 2.x

I don't use PuppetDB so I'll go to 5 directly.

Thanks,