connecting puppet master and agent

krishna chaitanya kurnala

Feb 19, 2014, 12:48:18 PM2/19/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
HI

I am new to Puppet and having a tough time understanding the process of how Authentication works in puppet. I am trying to connect puppet 3.4 master and agent on a centos 6 machine. we use host files, rather than dns.
This could be a simple question, but, I want to learn to Concepts. I made sure puppet is running on both master and agent. Here is my configuration:

On Master:

in puppet.conf

[master]
   certname = host.company.com
   vardir = /var/lib/puppet

in /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4 puppet
::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
10.16.7.22 host.company.com puppetmaster puppet

On Agent:

in puppet.conf

[main]
    server = host.company.com

in /etc/hosts
10.16.7.22 host.company.com puppetmaster puppet

I still cant get them to authorize each other.
I am getting different errors:

On Agent:
sudo puppet agent --server=host.company.com --test

Error: Could not request certificate: Connection refused - connect(2)
Exiting; failed to retrieve certificate and waitforcert is disabled

If I change the certname to a fancy name, it gets even funnier, because, the agent looks for a host with than fancy name as there is no DNS. Please give some info on how to get that working too.

Can Someone please guide me.

Thanks
Krishna

jcbollinger

Feb 20, 2014, 9:38:36 AM2/20/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:48:18 AM UTC-6, krishna chaitanya kurnala wrote:
Error: Could not request certificate: Connection refused - connect(2)

It looks like the firewall on your master is blocking the agent's connections to Puppet's service port. See http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/installation.html#network.

John