puppet open source reports and inventory to Satellite 6?

Ryan Anderson

Oct 18, 2016, 6:05:32 PM10/18/16
to Puppet Users
I'd like to use my open source puppet master (puppetserver-2.3.1-1.el7) to send reports and inventory to Satellite 6, the commercial foreman/katello from Red Hat. Puppet Labs has a report processor for PE to accomplish this (https://forge.puppet.com/puppetlabs/satellite_pe_tools), but I am unable to find a comparable forge module for open source.

Is anyone doing what I am trying to do? It appears the foreman project provides what I need to send reports from puppet to foreman, which *should* work for Satellite: https://theforeman.org/manuals/1.13/index.html#3.5.4PuppetReports

Ryan Anderson

Oct 31, 2016, 4:30:40 PM10/31/16
to Puppet Users
 Answering my own question. The URL I left before got me most of the way there, with some caveats. Hopefully this will keep others from having to reinvent the wheel on this. The steps are:
# Update for your Satellite 6 hostname
:ssl_ca: "/etc/foreman-proxy/foreman_ssl_ca.pem"
:ssl_cert: "/etc/foreman-proxy/foreman_ssl_cert.pem"
:ssl_key: "/etc/foreman-proxy/foreman_ssl_key.pem"

# Advanced settings
:puppetdir: "/opt/puppetlabs/puppet"
:puppetuser: "puppet"
:facts: true
:timeout: 10
:threads: null
  • Modify the puppet master's /etc/puppetlabs/puppet/puppet.conf so the [master] section has this 'reports = foreman' (you may already have puppetdb, so it would now read 'reports = puppetdb, foreman'
  • Restart the puppetmaster, eg systemctl restart puppetmaster
  • Login to your Satellite 6 server web interface and observe the presence of configuration reports in the dashboard and on individual hosts

Ryan Anderson

Nov 4, 2016, 4:42:56 PM11/4/16
to Puppet Users
One more update.

By default, all your puppet masters will dutifully forward reports of *all* agents--RHEL or otherwise--and Satellite will dutifully receive and display them. In my case, I had AIX and Solaris systems showing up in Satellite I did not care for. Puppet reports do not contain facts, so to filter out non-RHEL I had to filter out based on hostname. I added the line in foreman.rb on my masters below that starts with 'break' to exit if the hostname doesn't match.

 def process

    begin

      break if self.host !~ /.*linuxsrv.*|.*linuxws.*/

Suhail Choudhury

Feb 15, 2017, 3:41:22 PM2/15/17
to Puppet Users
Hi Ryan,

Thank you for sharing this very useful info.

Did you ever try sending reports successfully from a standalone PuppetMaster server to a Capsule which in turn was relayed back to the Satellite?

Regards,
Suhail.

Ryan Anderson

Feb 16, 2017, 9:14:29 AM2/16/17
to Puppet Users
I did not, my Satellite 6 was on a single server. Give it a try and report your results!

Suhail Choudhury

Feb 16, 2017, 9:24:39 AM2/16/17
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Result was unsuccessful :(

PPM to SAT direct was fine, this is because PPM was using the foreman-*.* ca/cert/key SSL assets to connect to SAT.

However using these certs for PPM to CAP did allow the reports to be sent successfully to the CAP foreman https api, but there is no mechanism for these reports to then be relayed/proxied back to the SAT server AFAIK.

Regards,
Suhail.