Puppet install failure

Paul Trepanier

Apr 26, 2016, 3:40:41 PM4/26/16
to Puppet Users
Hi Folks,

..on CentOS 7

# rpm -ivh http://yum.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release-el-7.noarch.rpm
# yum install puppet-server
# puppet resource package puppet-server ensure=latest

After doing this, there is NO /opt/puppetlabs directory.

Any idea what the issue is?  All the docs say /opt/puppetlabs should be there.

[root@puppetmaster puppet]# yum list installed | grep -i pup
facter.x86_64                          1:2.4.6-1.el7                   @puppetlabs-products
hiera.noarch                           1.3.4-1.el7                     @puppetlabs-products
puppet.noarch                          3.8.6-1.el7                     @puppetlabs-products
puppet-server.noarch                   3.8.6-1.el7                     @puppetlabs-products
puppetlabs-release.noarch              7-12                            installed
ruby-augeas.x86_64                     0.4.1-3.el7                     @puppetlabs-deps
ruby-shadow.x86_64                     1:2.2.0-2.el7                   @puppetlabs-deps

Thanks!

Paul

Christopher Wood

Apr 26, 2016, 3:46:13 PM4/26/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 12:37:38PM -0700, Paul Trepanier wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> ..on CentOS 7
>
> # rpm -ivh http://yum.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release-el-7.noarch.rpm
> # yum install puppet-server
> # puppet resource package puppet-server ensure=latest
> After doing this, there is NO /opt/puppetlabs directory.

I suspect you wanted the pc1 repositories and the puppetserver package?

rpm -ivh http://yum.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release-pc1-el-7.noarch.rpm
yum clean all
yum install puppetserver
rpm -q puppetserver puppet-agent
ls -d /opt/puppetlabs

Using puppet-server would get you puppet 3.8.7 per http://yum.puppetlabs.com/el/7/products/x86_64.

https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/4.0/reference/release_notes.html

https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/4.0/reference/whered_it_go.html

> Any idea what the issue is?  All the docs say /opt/puppetlabs should be
> there.
>
> [root@puppetmaster puppet]# yum list installed | grep -i pup
> facter.x86_64                          1:2.4.6-1.el7
> @puppetlabs-products
> hiera.noarch                           1.3.4-1.el7
> @puppetlabs-products
> puppet.noarch                          3.8.6-1.el7
> @puppetlabs-products
> puppet-server.noarch                   3.8.6-1.el7
> @puppetlabs-products
> puppetlabs-release.noarch              7-12
>  installed
> ruby-augeas.x86_64                     0.4.1-3.el7
> @puppetlabs-deps
> ruby-shadow.x86_64                     1:2.2.0-2.el7
> @puppetlabs-deps
> Thanks!
> Paul
>
> --
>
> References
>
> Visible links
> 1. mailto:puppet-users...@googlegroups.com
> 2. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/13ec310a-9fb0-467d-9af6-0ee213dee055%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> 3. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

Mike Sharpton

Apr 26, 2016, 3:47:46 PM4/26/16
to Puppet Users
It appears have installed Puppet 3, not 4, this explains why the directory is not there.

Paul Trepanier

Apr 26, 2016, 4:02:06 PM4/26/16
to Puppet Users, christop...@pobox.com
Confused.  Why did you include links to 4.0 docs for 3.8?  It appears you can't install 4.0 based on all the instructions out there referencing yum.puppetlabs.com.

??

Paul Trepanier

Apr 26, 2016, 4:10:41 PM4/26/16
to Puppet Users, christop...@pobox.com
OK, tried your instructions (which only differed by "pc1" in the distname) and now /opt/puppetlabs is there.

What is the reason for this (I've found no less than 6 references for Centos 7 including a cbtnuggets.com training video that says to use the .rpm WITHOUT "pc1" in it).
What is the difference between the "pc1 and non-"pc1" variants?

Would have been nice if they explained this in README.txt...

Paul

Paul Trepanier

Apr 26, 2016, 4:20:41 PM4/26/16
to Puppet Users, christop...@pobox.com
Hang on.  It didn't go well.

[root@puppetmaster puppetlabs]# systemctl start  puppetmaster.service
Failed to start puppetmaster.service: Unit puppetmaster.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

So neither dist for CentOS 7 seems to work.  Am I missing something?  Is puppet not ready for prime time on 7?

Paul

Christopher Wood

Apr 26, 2016, 4:22:08 PM4/26/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 01:10:41PM -0700, Paul Trepanier wrote:
> OK, tried your instructions (which only differed by "pc1" in the distname)
> and now /opt/puppetlabs is there.
>
> What is the reason for this (I've found no less than 6 references for
> Centos 7 including a cbtnuggets.com training video that says to use the
> .rpm WITHOUT "pc1" in it).
> What is the difference between the "pc1 and non-"pc1" variants?

The reason is that Puppet changed their packaging between major versions 3 and 4. The pc1 is the All In One packaging, also known as Puppet Collection 1.

https://puppet.com/blog/welcome-to-puppet-collections

Those links I pasted below have more details.

I think you'll benefit more from reading Puppet's own documentation than what you get from third parties right now.

https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/

> Would have been nice if they explained this in README.txt...
> Paul
>
> On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 2:46:13 PM UTC-5, Christopher Wood wrote:
>
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 12:37:38PM -0700, Paul Trepanier wrote:
> >    Hi Folks,
> >    ..on CentOS 7
> >
> >    # rpm -ivh
> [1]http://yum.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release-el-7.noarch.rpm
> >    # yum install puppet-server
> >    # puppet resource package puppet-server ensure=latest
> >    After doing this, there is NO /opt/puppetlabs directory.
>
> I suspect you wanted the pc1 repositories and the puppetserver package?
>
> rpm -ivh
> [2]http://yum.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release-pc1-el-7.noarch.rpm
> yum clean all
> yum install puppetserver
> rpm -q puppetserver puppet-agent
> ls -d /opt/puppetlabs
>
> Using puppet-server would get you puppet 3.8.7 per
> [3]http://yum.puppetlabs.com/el/7/products/x86_64.
>
> [4]https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/4.0/reference/release_notes.html
>
> [5]https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/4.0/reference/whered_it_go.html
> >    email to [1][6]puppet-users...@googlegroups.com.
> >    To view this discussion on the web visit
> >
>  [2][7]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/13ec310a-9fb0-467d-9af6-0ee213dee055%40googlegroups.com.
> >
> > References
> >
> >    Visible links
> >    1. mailto:[9]puppet-users...@googlegroups.com
> >    2.
> [10]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/13ec310a-9fb0-467d-9af6-0ee213dee055%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> >    3. [11]https://groups.google.com/d/optout
>
> --
>
> References
>
> Visible links
> 1. http://yum.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release-el-7.noarch.rpm
> 2. http://yum.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release-pc1-el-7.noarch.rpm
> 3. http://yum.puppetlabs.com/el/7/products/x86_64
> 4. https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/4.0/reference/release_notes.html
> 5. https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/4.0/reference/whered_it_go.html
> 6. javascript:
> 7. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/13ec310a-9fb0-467d-9af6-0ee213dee055%40googlegroups.com
> 8. https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> 9. javascript:
> 10. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/13ec310a-9fb0-467d-9af6-0ee213dee055%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> 11. https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> 12. mailto:puppet-users...@googlegroups.com
> 13. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/be5d44e1-65d6-4e37-9727-40b56272a574%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> 14. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

Paul Trepanier

Apr 26, 2016, 4:29:08 PM4/26/16
to Puppet Users, christop...@pobox.com
Well, puppet docs say just run "yum install puppetserver" but that doesn't really work.  Everybody says you have to go to yum.puppetlabs.com and grab it from there and as I've experience, that' approach also does not appear to work.

I guess the final question is what version of the install guide actually works?  Troubled by how difficult this is and I say that being someone who's been in this business long enough to have to compile software in UNIX in order to get it to run - long before package managers...

Paul
>      >    1. mailto:[9]puppet-users+unsub...@googlegroups.com
>      >    2.
>      [10]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/13ec310a-9fb0-467d-9af6-0ee213dee055%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>      >    3. [11]https://groups.google.com/d/optout
>
>    --
>
> References
>
>    Visible links
>    1. http://yum.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release-el-7.noarch.rpm
>    2. http://yum.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release-pc1-el-7.noarch.rpm
>    3. http://yum.puppetlabs.com/el/7/products/x86_64
>    4. https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/4.0/reference/release_notes.html
>    5. https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/4.0/reference/whered_it_go.html
>    6. javascript:
>    7. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/13ec310a-9fb0-467d-9af6-0ee213dee055%40googlegroups.com
>    8. https://groups.google.com/d/optout
>    9. javascript:
>   10. https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/13ec310a-9fb0-467d-9af6-0ee213dee055%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>   11. https://groups.google.com/d/optout

Melissa Stone

Apr 26, 2016, 4:39:45 PM4/26/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com, christop...@pobox.com
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 1:29 PM Paul Trepanier <pgtav...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, puppet docs say just run "yum install puppetserver" but that doesn't really work.  Everybody says you have to go to yum.puppetlabs.com and grab it from there and as I've experience, that' approach also does not appear to work.
"yum install puppetserver" should definitely work if you have the PC1 repos enabled. You'll also want a different service name. It's going to be puppetserver.service instead of puppetmaster.service. Check out https://docs.puppet.com/puppetserver/2.3/ for more information on running puppetserver.

I guess the final question is what version of the install guide actually works?  Troubled by how difficult this is and I say that being someone who's been in this business long enough to have to compile software in UNIX in order to get it to run - long before package managers...
You can also find installation instructions for puppetserver at https://docs.puppet.com/puppetserver/2.3/install_from_packages.html. These assume you already have the PC1 repos set up though.

https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/latest/reference/install_linux.html is a more detailed guide for linux specific installation including the set up of the PC1 repos.

I hope that helps!
>      >    1. mailto:[9]puppet-users...@googlegroups.com
>      >    2.
>      [10]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/13ec310a-9fb0-467d-9af6-0ee213dee055%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>      >    3. [11]https://groups.google.com/d/optout
>
>    --
Melissa Stone
Release Engineer, Puppet Labs

PuppetConf 2016, October 17-21, San Diego, California
Early Birds save $350 - Register by June 30th

Vishvendra Singh Chauhan

Apr 27, 2016, 12:05:51 AM4/27/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

To install puppet 3.X version, you can try with following commands.

# yum install puppet-server puppet

This would not provide you the /opt/puppetlabs directory... That's working in the previous structure.

1. /var/lib/puppet/*

2. /etc/puppet/*

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/169278e1-a196-4b1d-88b5-fe80cc0c7008%40googlegroups.com.

Paul Trepanier

Apr 27, 2016, 11:38:37 AM4/27/16
to Puppet Users, christop...@pobox.com
Thanks for your help everybody!

I should have just done the RT*M thing from the start...