Using Puppet for deploying .Net Application

Russ Ray

Apr 22, 2014, 10:04:18 PM4/22/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
All,

  I am very new to Puppet.  I am trying to ascertain how Puppet can deploy .Net applications religiously.

   Can anyone point me to a good tutorial?

   Thanks,

Russ

Rob Reynolds

Apr 23, 2014, 2:29:21 PM4/23/14
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
For the setup in general, that's puppet. For the application itself you have a few options:

Zip:

For the files that change, have your build server build the code and put a zipped copy (same name, overwrites current) to a location for dev/test/other lower environments. Have puppet deploy the zip file.

For qa/prod - have a sysadmin move the version of the tested app to a known secure location for deployment (also as a zip that overwrites the same named one, but also a version).

Packages:

Even better would be to use something like nuget/chocolatey and set the package as latest version. Have prod pull from a secure location that only admins can drop the files. This will make rollbacks easier, and knowing what version you are on becomes much easier. Building packages is trivial and the packages can sit on a fileshare as a source for chocolatey.

Note: I'm the author of Chocolatey.

Rob Reynolds
Developer, Puppet Labs

Join us at PuppetConf 2014September 23-24 in San Francisco - http://puppetconf.com