Smoke testing puppet modules within Red Hat Satellite v6.2 Puppet Master

Warron French

Sep 21, 2016, 1:35:48 PM9/21/16
to Puppet Users
As most of you I know, I am a total novice at Puppet.  I have built, on my own however, a PE Puppet Master at home and it is running on a CentOS-6.7 VM.

Now, I am at work, trying to write modules and smoke test them, like I have learned to do much better now at home.

At home, I can write some basic modules without having to constantly refer to style guides, syntax documentation, etc... then I run:
  1. puppet parser validate module_name1/tests/init.pp
  2. puppet apply --noop module_name1/tests/init.pp

When I run the smoke test, I see an indicate of what changes would have occured.  Normal right?

In my work environment, on the Red Hat Satellite Server, I wrote some similar modules from memory, then I run:

  1. puppet parser validate module_name2/tests/init.pp
  2. puppet apply --noop module_name2/tests/init.pp

The syntax checks out, but the error(s) I get in response to the smoke test are:

Error: Could not find class mas_shared_mas_menu for xxxxx  on node xxxxx

Error: Could not find class mas_shared_mas_menu for xxxxx on node  xxxxx

NOTE1:  I have learned how to upload a puppet module to my Puppet Master on the Satellite Server.

NOTE2:  I am smoketesting these modules from the ssh terminal session connected to the Satellite/Puppet Master server = xxxx.

NOTE3:  I don't have any agent nodes attached to my Puppet Master.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong please?

Rob Nelson

Sep 21, 2016, 5:14:23 PM9/21/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Warren,

It seems like you might be running afoul of the autoloader. It expects that within the module path, each module has a certain layout - the class ntp is defined in ntp/manifests/init.pp, etc. if you place that in a directory called module2, puppet will not find it, since it expects module2/manifests/init.pp to contain the module2 class. That's my first guess, but it could be that you obfuscated your paths and did not call it module_name2 on disk but mas_shared_mas_menu as the error indicated, difficult to tell from here. Let us know if that helps!

Rob Nelson

Warron French

Sep 21, 2016, 9:14:27 PM9/21/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Rob, I will review your advice when I am in the environment (back at work) tomorrow.

Thanks again.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/CAC76iT-NeFxm5NPv%2B5YnZ2YGEYW%2B81474t--i2TioysrJ0xX8w%40mail.gmail.com.

Evan Hisey

Sep 24, 2016, 1:07:37 AM9/24/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Warron-
  Just something to think about also, you may be calling a class that Satellite does not have as it is running an older version of the community puppet.