Re: [Puppet-dev] Debian Testing and Debian Stable leaving apt.puppetlabs.com

Daniel Parks

Aug 13, 2015, 2:12:57 PM8/13/15
to puppe...@googlegroups.com, puppet...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 9:46 AM, Melissa Stone <mel...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

In an effort to reduce duplication and confusion in the packages we provide, we will no longer be providing packages for Debian Testing or Debian Stable. We want to ensure we deliver tested and reliable packages, which includes deliberately adding new platforms that have been vetted. This change is part of an effort to ensure that is always the case with the packages we make available.

To clarify, because this has confused other people too: does this mean that you won’t be able to run Puppet from an official package on Debian Stable?

Or is there another repo that can be added, that’s just not specific to Debian Testing/Stable?

Thanks,
Daniel

Melissa Stone

Aug 13, 2015, 2:14:15 PM8/13/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com, puppet-...@googlegroups.com, puppe...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 9:46 AM, Melissa Stone <mel...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

In an effort to reduce duplication and confusion in the packages we provide, we will no longer be providing packages for Debian Testing or Debian Stable. We want to ensure we deliver tested and reliable packages, which includes deliberately adding new platforms that have been vetted. This change is part of an effort to ensure that is always the case with the packages we make available.

Stable and Testing packages will be removed from our apt repository on Wednesday, September 9th.

For clarity, this is only referring to packages built under the stable and testing name spaces. We will continue to support and ship packages associated with current supported Debian codenames (i.e. Debian Wheezy and Debian Jessie).

--
Melissa Stone
Release Engineer, Puppet Labs

PuppetConf 2015 is coming to Portland, Oregon! Join us October 5-9.
Register now to take advantage of the Early Bird discount —save $249!

--
Melissa Stone
Release Engineer, Puppet Labs

PuppetConf 2015 is coming to Portland, Oregon! Join us October 5-9.
Register now to take advantage of the Early Bird discount —save $249!

Melissa Stone

Aug 13, 2015, 2:16:13 PM8/13/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 11:12 AM, Daniel Parks <d...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 9:46 AM, Melissa Stone <mel...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

In an effort to reduce duplication and confusion in the packages we provide, we will no longer be providing packages for Debian Testing or Debian Stable. We want to ensure we deliver tested and reliable packages, which includes deliberately adding new platforms that have been vetted. This change is part of an effort to ensure that is always the case with the packages we make available.

To clarify, because this has confused other people too: does this mean that you won’t be able to run Puppet from an official package on Debian Stable?

Debian Stable now corresponds to Debian Jessie. We currently have puppet-agent packages available for Debian Jessie, and puppetserver packages are in the works. Those can/will be made available in the PC1 repos at http://apt.puppetlabs.com/pool/jessie/PC1/

Or is there another repo that can be added, that’s just not specific to Debian Testing/Stable?

Thanks,
Daniel

Melissa Stone

Aug 13, 2015, 10:50:45 PM8/13/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com, puppet-...@googlegroups.com, puppe...@googlegroups.com

In an effort to reduce duplication and confusion in the packages we provide, we will no longer be providing packages for Debian Testing or Debian Stable. We want to ensure we deliver tested and reliable packages, which includes deliberately adding new platforms that have been vetted. This change is part of an effort to ensure that is always the case with the packages we make available.

Stable and Testing packages will be removed from our apt repository on Wednesday, September 9th.

Dirk Heinrichs

Aug 14, 2015, 3:25:47 AM8/14/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Am 13.08.2015 um 20:13 schrieb Melissa Stone:

We will continue to support and ship packages associated with current supported Debian codenames (i.e. Debian Wheezy and Debian Jessie).

Please also continue to provide packages for Stretch (aka Testing).

BTW: Are there any plans to deliver systemd service descriptions with the packages (Debian has decided to switch from sysvinit to systemd).

Bye...

    Dirk
--

Dirk Heinrichs, Senior Systems Engineer, Engineering Solutions
Recommind GmbH, Von-Liebig-Straße 1, 53359 Rheinbach

Melissa Stone

Aug 14, 2015, 12:30:27 PM8/14/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 12:24 AM, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.he...@recommind.com> wrote:
Am 13.08.2015 um 20:13 schrieb Melissa Stone:

We will continue to support and ship packages associated with current supported Debian codenames (i.e. Debian Wheezy and Debian Jessie).

Please also continue to provide packages for Stretch (aka Testing).

It will likely take some time to get everything set up to build and test Debian Stretch, but it is on our radar.

BTW: Are there any plans to deliver systemd service descriptions with the packages (Debian has decided to switch from sysvinit to systemd).

The puppet-agent package for Debian 8 should already be doing this for both the puppet and mco services. We have yet to make that update in Puppet Server, but that work is scheduled to happen sooner rather than later.

Bye...

    Dirk
--

Dirk Heinrichs, Senior Systems Engineer, Engineering Solutions
Recommind GmbH, Von-Liebig-Straße 1, 53359 Rheinbach
Tel: +49 2226 1596666 (Ansage) 1149
Email: d...@recommind.com
Skype: dirk.heinrichs.recommind
www.recommind.com

Ximena Cardinali

Aug 27, 2015, 9:30:53 AM8/27/15
to Puppet Users, puppe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

is it possible that the packages for Debian Jessie are still not available on the repository?

I'm trying to install puppet on some new installed servers, and I couldn't find the packages related to Debian Jessie.

Regards,
Ximena.

Melissa Stone

Aug 31, 2015, 1:41:34 PM8/31/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 6:30 AM, Ximena Cardinali <ximenac...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

is it possible that the packages for Debian Jessie are still not available on the repository?

I'm trying to install puppet on some new installed servers, and I couldn't find the packages related to Debian Jessie.

We currently only have puppet-agent packages available for Debian Jessie. We are working on getting Puppet Server and PuppetDB packages available as well, but we do not have a time frame on that work. If you keep an eye on this email list, we will send an email out when those packages are available.

Regards,
Ximena.

On Thursday, 13 August 2015 20:12:57 UTC+2, Daniel Parks wrote:
[...]

Register now to take advantage of the Final Countdown discount save $149!