Install modules from puppet forge at runtime

Rakshatha shetty

Aug 16, 2017, 2:45:27 AM8/16/17
to Puppet Users
I have a query on the usage of modules present in Puppet Forge.

When puppet agent -t command is run in puppet agent machine, if the specified module is not present in Puppet master server will puppet agent or master connect to puppet forge repo and download the specified module if present at run time?

Regards,
Rakshatha

Andrew Grimberg

Aug 16, 2017, 10:24:33 AM8/16/17
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Greetings Rakshatha,

No, puppet modules need to be available on the puppet master before
they're used by any manifests.

How you go about doing that is mostly a matter of preference, but there
are two primary methods of doing the management that I'm aware of

r10k [0]
librarian [1]

In all of the puppet configurations that I manage we use r10k and there
are a lot of good blogs and docs on how to set it up.

-Andy-

[0] https://docs.puppet.com/pe/latest/r10k.html
[1] http://librarian-puppet.com/

signature.asc