Inheritance of classes in Ruby DSL

alxrem

May 15, 2012, 4:16:22 AM5/15/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

Is it possible to describe inheritance of classes in Ruby DSL?

Ingo Fischer

Jun 13, 2012, 11:08:07 AM6/13/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
I have the same question (see https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/puppet-users/inheritance$20ruby$20dsl/puppet-users/RtMbu8yFZCc/Zet8ackZgnYJ) and need this behavior for my project.

Is inheritance possible at all with the Ruby DSL? If not, should we create an issue for that?

Ryan Bowlby

Feb 16, 2013, 6:42:05 PM2/16/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
...Bueller

Anyone have an answer for this? This seems like a pretty pertinent feature for anyone looking to take advantage of the ruby DSL. I for one would be eternally grateful.

-Ryan

Ingo Fischer

Feb 18, 2013, 4:42:34 AM2/18/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

jcbollinger

Feb 18, 2013, 9:24:08 AM2/18/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, February 16, 2013 5:42:05 PM UTC-6, Ryan Bowlby wrote:
...Bueller

Anyone have an answer for this? This seems like a pretty pertinent feature for anyone looking to take advantage of the ruby DSL. I for one would be eternally grateful.

As Ingo Fischer observed, Puppet's current Ruby DSL is deprecated.  I think I remember reading that PL's effort to create a replacement has been abandoned.  As such, I would not advise basing any work on Ruby DSL.

Although the Ruby DSL provided direct access to Ruby for defining manifests, there were always features of Puppet's native DSL that the Ruby DSL did not provide.  In any case, class inheritance is a rather special-purpose tool in Puppet (as was Ruby DSL), so although you may have a good use case for it yourself, I don't think it's accurate to call inheritance "a pretty pertinent feature for anyone looking to take advantage of the ruby DSL."

If you tell us about what you're trying to do then perhaps we can suggest an alternative.

John