facter compatibility and nest facts info

rakar...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2016, 2:32:01 PM10/17/16
to Puppet Users
Hi,

Is there any issues with facter 2.4.6 + puppet 3.6.2 for writing manifest files? since facter 2.4.6 has nested facts. At present I have facter 2.1.0 + puppet 3.6.2. I am planning to upgrade facter with 2.4.6. So before that I just want to confirm if there is any compatibility issues

Also in facter 2.4.6 if i want to get os family how can i do that? since its nested kind of format I tried 'facter os.family' which returns blank value

Thanks
KK

Jakov Sosic

Oct 17, 2016, 4:10:19 PM10/17/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
[jsosic] % facter os.family
RedHat

[jsosic] % facter --version
3.4.1 (commit d0f32490f41ca12722c13e4c48d4572ae4f9bfdc)

Seems to be working in newer versions...

Kylo Ginsberg

Oct 17, 2016, 5:31:03 PM10/17/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 1:09 PM, Jakov Sosic <jso...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/17/2016 07:52 PM, rakar...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

Is there any issues with facter 2.4.6 + puppet 3.6.2 for writing
manifest files? since facter 2.4.6 has nested facts. At present I have
facter 2.1.0 + puppet 3.6.2. I am planning to upgrade facter with 2.4.6.
So before that I just want to confirm if there is any compatibility issues

No known compatibility issues, but of course read the release notes, and test before deploying :)

Also in facter 2.4.6 if i want to get os family how can i do that? since
its nested kind of format I tried 'facter os.family' which returns blank
value

[jsosic] % facter os.family
RedHat

[jsosic] % facter --version
3.4.1 (commit d0f32490f41ca12722c13e4c48d4572ae4f9bfdc)

Seems to be working in newer versions...

The dotted syntax for structured facts on the command line was introduced in facter 3 so, yes, it wouldn't work with 2.4.6.

However, with either facter 2 or facter 3 you can access structured facts from puppet code with something like: $facts["os"]["family"]

Also, wrt this specific fact, it's worth noting that both facter 2 and facter 3 retain the (non-structured) fact called 'osfamily'.

Kylo

Kylo Ginsberg | ky...@puppet.com | irc: kylo | twitter: @kylog