Can I even use Razor in this situation?

Bret Wortman

May 18, 2016, 10:01:58 AM5/18/16
to puppet-razor
Here's a question from my networking guys as we've found problems with some of our remote locations where we can't push the microkernel over tftp from our headquarters. It looks something like this:

               Site 1           Site 2
                 |                |  (Util server with squid, xinetd and tftpd)
                 |                |
256K frame relay |                | 256K frame relay
                 |                |
              +--+----------------+--+
              |                      |
              |  Headquarters        |
              |  (razor host)        |
              |                      |
              +----------------------+

So the frame relay links are the problem. We can't push the microkernel across them, so we need a way to either serve it via some other form, or have it locally hosted at each location. If we host the xinitrc and vmlinuz files at each site's squid proxy, how does razor get the message that installation has occurred? We do not have, nor do we want, repos at the sites but we're completely fine with proxying them through squid.

Is there a way to set this up and make it work?

Scott McClellan

May 31, 2016, 11:44:32 PM5/31/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bret,

The microkernel is transferred by standard HTTP connection, not TFTP, so standard HTTP caching should work. These are the two endpoints that nodes hit to download the microkernel, which you would want to cache:

- /svc/repo/microkernel/initrd0.img
- /svc/repo/microkernel/vmlinuz0

The same approach would be used for any other repo files that you want to cache in squid, but with the name of the repo in that path instead of `microkernel`.

It's no problem to have these (large) files cached, and as long as the nodes can still download the iPXE file from Razor server (via /svc/boot over HTTP), the state updates will still operate normally.

Let me know if you need any more info to get this working.

Minor note: These /svc endpoints are not technically part of the Razor API, meaning they might change in a future release. We have no plans to change these endpoints in the future, so with that caveat in place, you won't have an issue using these for now.

Scott