Best way to zero out disks using microkernel

Rohit Menon

May 12, 2017, 5:00:08 PM5/12/17
to puppet-razor
Hey,

So we are using razor in production.
What I like to know is, is there a way to zero out disks using /dev/zero when we load the micro kernel.
What would be the best approach to go about this problem.

Scott McClellan

May 16, 2017, 7:14:06 PM5/16/17
to puppet-razor
Hi Rohit,

The first item I'd mention is that having the microkernel do this by default would be a mistake, since it's possible a machine's boot goes to the microkernel before booting locally (in the case of, for example, a changed NIC).

With that said, I'd like to know more about your use case. Do you intend to zero out the disk before every single policy/task install? I can think of some options for achieving this, but my ideas would involve code changes, not configuration tweaks currently. The plan there would be for the Razor server to instruct the microkernel to run that command upon binding to a policy, rather than just `reboot`, which it does currently.

Scott

Rohit Menon

May 20, 2017, 4:23:01 PM5/20/17
to puppet-razor
Hey Scott,

We plan to zero out disks when we delete a policy on a server.
So we work with different teams and each team should not have access to the data of another team when we pass the server on to the other team.
So more like, I have centos installed and when passing it to the next team I want the data to be removed (through razor specifically cause we are using the API for passing it on and stuff. ). We would love a cleaner solution for this rather then messing around the microkernel specifically now thinking about the problems that you mentioned.

Thanks for your time :)