How to change MTU on TFTP

Bret Wortman

May 6, 2016, 10:14:59 AM5/6/16
to puppet-razor
Because we have remote systems that need to call home to get the boot images, and because my network guys have told me that I need to change our blocksize down to 1200 in the tftp server...

How do I do that? I've tried all the usual ways, like updating blocksize in /etc/xinetd.d/tftp, but no joy. I can't even get tftp to do verbose logging!

Bret Wortman

May 9, 2016, 8:21:15 AM5/9/16
to puppet-razor
Is there no way to globally change the tftp blocksize globally?

Bret Wortman

May 9, 2016, 9:32:26 AM5/9/16
to puppet-razor
Okay, digging further into the docs, it appears that I'm supposed to have dnsmasq installed, but I'd rather not do that since it is even more hostile to adding a default blocksize than tftp is.

Is dnsmasq actually required and, if so, why is my system working without it?

Scott McClellan

May 9, 2016, 12:11:18 PM5/9/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bret,

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Bret Wortman <br...@thewortmans.org> wrote:
Okay, digging further into the docs, it appears that I'm supposed to have dnsmasq installed, but I'd rather not do that since it is even more hostile to adding a default blocksize than tftp is.

Is dnsmasq actually required and, if so, why is my system working without it?

No, dnsmasq is not required. Basically any DHCP system that will allow Razor to hook in will work just fine.  We supply the configuration for installing Razor with dnsmasq here, but those can be tweaked for other DHCP/TFTP systems.

On Friday, May 6, 2016 at 10:14:59 AM UTC-4, Bret Wortman wrote:
Because we have remote systems that need to call home to get the boot images, and because my network guys have told me that I need to change our blocksize down to 1200 in the tftp server...

How do I do that? I've tried all the usual ways, like updating blocksize in /etc/xinetd.d/tftp, but no joy. I can't even get tftp to do verbose logging!

I'm not knowledgeable about this, so others may be able to help more than I can. TFTP configuration is a bit outside the scope of what Razor has been targeting. Let me know if you find a way to achieve this though, and we may be able to add it to our documentation.

Scott

Bret Wortman

May 9, 2016, 12:34:31 PM5/9/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com