Windows, VMware and VMXNET3

Christian Koep

Nov 30, 2015, 8:08:51 AM11/30/15
to puppet-razor
Hi all,

has anyone used razor to provision Windows Server 2012R2 on VMware (5.1) with the VMXNET3 virtual network adapter?

I created an WINPE image with the appropriate drivers (by putting them in the C:\build-winpe\extra-drivers directory before building the image).

It works really well until the system reboots.

Unfortunately the VMware drivers are not installed into the OS. This means that the broker stage fails completely because of the missing network adapter.

Any ideas?

Scott McClellan

Dec 9, 2015, 2:00:21 PM12/9/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

I haven't tried that particular setup/adapter before, but I have a few questions which might help:
- Do the drivers have a .inf extension?
- Are the drivers signed or unsigned?

The build-razor-winpe.ps1 script will simply run the Powershell command `add-windowsdriver -Recurse` on the extra-drivers directory, which by default does not allow unsigned drivers. If they are unsigned, you'll need to add the `-ForceUnsigned` argument to that script.

Hope that helps,

Scott

Christian Koep

Dec 17, 2015, 9:55:37 AM12/17/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just solved this:

It is not enough to add the drivers via the razor-winpe.ps1 script. I
also hat to modify the "install.wim" that is contained in the Windows
Server iso.

Here is what I did:

- Copy the the install.wim file from the .ISO (about 4 GB)
- Mount-WindowsImage -imagepath .\install.wim -index 2 -path .\mnt
-ErrorAction stop
- AddWindowsDriver -Path .\mnt -Driver .\extra-drivers -Recurse -ForceUnsigned
- Dismount-WindowsImage -save -path .\mnt -ErrorAction stop

Scott McClellan

Dec 17, 2015, 12:01:27 PM12/17/15
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

The provided Razor script, build-razor-winpe.ps1, should already run that AddWindowsDriver command, but as I mentioned, that command by default will exclude unsigned drivers. The mounting and unmounting should already happen through that script. From the commands you provided, the `-ForceUnsigned` argument is the only difference I see.

I created a ticket to modify that script so it is easier to allow unsigned drivers when building the WIM file. Hopefully that functionality will make it easier for you and other users in the future.

Thanks for following up!

Scott