Plans to make tasks more modular?

Alex Scoble

Nov 2, 2015, 7:31:03 PM11/2/15
to puppet-razor
Hi,

I was just wondering if there were any plans to make razor's handing of kickstart files within tasks more modular.

Right now, if you have a bunch of separate tasks (and you pretty much need a different task for each storage set up you have to manage) you inevitably have a lot of code reuse between the various kickstarts for setting up repos or redhat subscription or whatever.

It becomes a pain when you make changes to any of those things that are in all of your kickstarts, vs if razor managed the kickstarts as a bunch of atomic primitives, much as Puppet does configuration items.

Metadata is one current solution, but a painful one as changes to metadata in a policy does not get pushed to nodes using that policy when the metadata in the policy changes (which in my opinion, is a big issue).

We will continue to manage all of our bare metal provisioning and some vm provisioning for the foreseeable future, but it would certainly be nice if razor became a lot more like Puppet (the fact that there's no native Puppet resources for razor is another issue).

Competitors like The Foreman already do this to some extent, albeit The Foreman only splits out storage configs, so it just makes sense for razor to evolve in this direction to compete.

Thanks,

Alex Scoble