connection timeout error during PXE boot

Manikantan Chandrasekharan

Jul 14, 2016, 12:10:09 PM7/14/16
to puppet-razor
Hi Team,

Hello to all of you.

We are trying out bare metal provisioning with Puppet and Razor.
Its a 3 node setup (node 1: PE, node 2: Razor node 3: DNS, DHCP, TFTP
I am doing this in VMware setup (all VMs).
Node1 and Node2 are in VM network. Node 3 in ESXi host network

I have followed Puppet Enterprise documentation.
Couple of modifications here and there - like postgres DB name for razor is modified to what is present in the DB.

I have created a new VM in host network. When I PXE boot it, it gets the IP from the DHCP and when it is trying to reach the Razor node, getting connection timeout error.
I guess the node will connect to razor and create its inventory - correct.
I am not getting anything in razor server for "razor nodes" command.

After timeout, it says - could not boot image: Result too large.
No more network devices.
Operating system not found.

These are the error messages I am getting for the new VM.

Is there anyway I can figure out through logs or some checking, what is wrong with my setup?
Are there any online documentation you can point me to verify the setup?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Manikantan C

Scott McClellan

Sep 12, 2016, 10:52:56 AM9/12/16
to puppet-razor
Hello Manikantan,

It sounds like the new VM is unable to reach the Razor server. Two questions:
- Which host and port is being used when it is trying to reach the Razor node?
- Are you able to do a GET on the same URL inside the same network?

Those are just a few ideas to get you started. You can also check to see that the Razor server service is running by doing a GET on port 8151 and endpoint /api, e.g.:

If you are unable to reach the Razor server, check the server.log file (somewhere in /var/log, depending on which version you have) to see if it had a problem starting up or fielding requests.

Hope that helps,

Scott