Re: [razor] After CentOS installation: Boot from SAN device 0x80 failed

Message has been deleted

Andy McDougall

Aug 13, 2016, 7:28:49 AM8/13/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

Try wiping the boot sector if your risk first, then reboot server with disk above the network device in your boot order. Without the boot block the server will skip disk and install is from PXE boot. When OS is installed it will reboot to disk image.

Andy

On 12 Aug 2016 17:31, "Alexander Cogneau" <alexande...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I've succesfully installed and configured razor-server (at least I hope so) and I'm trying to let them boot CentOS 7. I created the policy, tags, repo ... and when it boots the first time CentOS is installed (with the default Centos/7.task). But then it goes wrong. I know that CentOS is installed succesfully because when I put the HDD on top in the boot order, the CentOS installation boots without doing DHCP and PXE.

When I put the netwerk adapter on top of the boot order, it starts iPXE and connects with the razor-server, but then I get this output:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Installed by Razor0
Installation node: http://10.9.14.50:8150/api/nodes/6
Installation repo: http://10.9.14.50:8150/svc/repo/centos-7/
forcing local booting with sanboot 0x80
Booting from SAN device 0x80
Boot from SAN device 0x80 failed: Exec format error (http://ipe.org/2e852001)
Could not boot: Exec format error (http://ipxe.org/2e852001)
Could not boot image: Result too large (http://ipxe.org/46022001)
No more network devices

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks already!

Message has been deleted

Scott McClellan

Aug 18, 2016, 12:40:18 PM8/18/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexander,

It looks like this might be a problem with sanboot. This thread may be of interest to you: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/puppet-razor/QtHA7Kfa-II — The solution provided there is around overriding the boot_local.erb file to get around (essentially remove) the sanboot ipxe command.

Can you tell me a bit about the hardware you are using, to see if you have hardware similar to the thread above?

Hope that helps!

Scott

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 11:31 AM Alexander Cogneau <alexande...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Alexander Cogneau

Aug 19, 2016, 3:48:16 AM8/19/16
to puppet-razor
Hi Scott,

Thank you for your response, I'll look into the thread.

I am using a Cisco UCS C220 M4 Rack Server:

Kind regards,
Alexander

Alexander Cogneau

Aug 19, 2016, 4:29:14 AM8/19/16
to puppet-razor
Hi Scott,

When I just remove the sanboot command I get this output:

forcing local booting with sanboot 0x80
exiting iPXE and continuing to next firmware boot device
successfully completed the chain-loaded script; booting locally with 'exit'
No more network devices

Kind regards,
Alexander

Scott McClellan

Dec 13, 2016, 10:03:45 PM12/13/16
to puppet-razor
Hi Alexander,

Did you get this issue resolved? It sounds to me like the node doesn't have the local disk listed as a backup boot option if network boot fails.

Scott