Suggestion for razor-server rpms

Bret Wortman

Aug 31, 2016, 2:54:05 PM8/31/16
to puppet-razor
Would it be possible to have the distributed config.yaml file for razor-server set the protect_new_nodes value to true instead of false?

I ask because it appears the latest update moved my config.yaml to config.yaml.rpmsave and replaced it. We have a very established base, and a developer just today rebooted his system and it was one razor had never seen. It got wiped and reinstalled because of the config change. Perhaps I should have noticed it before today, but I didn't. I didn't expect an upgrade to reset my preference on this value.

Setting this to "true" might inconvenience those who want it "false", but the reverse is destructive and might be unrecoverable. Say what you want about backups and keeping code in repositories, but when a simple reboot leads to an unexpected system reinstallation, that's not good.

Thanks,

Bret

Morgan Rhodes

Sep 2, 2016, 4:58:46 PM9/2/16
to puppet-razor
Hi Bret,

Which version of Razor were you using and what did you upgrade to?  Rather than change the default value we should modify packaging to make sure those aren't replaced on upgrade.

Thanks,
Morgan

Morgan Rhodes
Release Engineer

Bret Wortman

Sep 6, 2016, 7:35:00 PM9/6/16
to puppet-razor
We went to 1.4.0 on Centos 7. I want to say we were on 1.2.6, maybe?

Bret Wortman
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "puppet-razor" group.

Morgan Rhodes

Sep 6, 2016, 8:54:37 PM9/6/16
to puppet-razor
Hi Bret,

Are you using FOSS or PE?

Bret Wortman

Sep 7, 2016, 6:07:26 AM9/7/16
to puppet-razor
FOSS.
On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 8:54 PM, Morgan Rhodes <mor...@puppet.com> wrote:
Hi Bret,

Are you using FOSS or PE?

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 11:54 AM Bret Wortman <br...@thewortmans.org> wrote:
[...]

Morgan Rhodes

Sep 9, 2016, 3:42:51 PM9/9/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bret,

I have been unable to reproduce. Are you using the packages from yum.puppetlabs.com?

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/puppet-razor.
Morgan Rhodes
Release Engineer

Morgan Rhodes
Release Engineer

Bret Wortman

Sep 9, 2016, 4:44:32 PM9/9/16
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Yes. It's possible that someone interfered here before they understood what happened, but I still think you're better off distributing with a default configure that respects already-installed systems.

Don't sweat our case. Thanks for checking!

Bret Wortman