Lets revive Pune RUG

pastafari

Jun 25, 2013, 1:23:11 PM6/25/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Hello #rubyfriends!

I'm sure all of you'll had a great time at RubyConf and we all enjoyed Prakash's talk about making the Indian Ruby community more vibrant. Let's take the first step toward making it real and revive Pune Ruby meetups.

On that note, I think it is important to keep Ruby and Rails as separate meetups as Rails meetups tend to be very web focussed. Some of the awesomest stuff with Ruby is outside the web world as Nishant Modak showed with his Arduino demo.

So here's a proposal for Ruby meetup (purely my personal choice ;-) feel free to amend!)

Frequency: once a month
Day: 1st Saturday (hence first meetup on July 6th - gives some time for prep as well)
Location: Can rotate  (ThoughtWorks, Josh, Fab etc.)

I am happy to co-ordinate this monthly event. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Mohit

Ratnadeep Deshmane

Jun 25, 2013, 1:34:26 PM6/25/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
That would be good..

We also have other group on meetup.com - with lot many members. You can suggest/create meetup there.

--
Ratnadeep Deshmane.
CTO & Geeky Co-Founder,

Sahil Muthoo

Jun 25, 2013, 3:25:42 PM6/25/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Let's do this. IMHO, we need at least 3-4 more people committed to join for the first meetup on the 6th of July.

C'mon folks. It'll be fun.

Prakash Murthy

Jun 25, 2013, 8:02:21 PM6/25/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mohit, for moving this conversation from twitter onto the mailing list. While twitter serves a purpose in getting one conversation grow in different ways, it is limited in making that conversation coherent. :-)

Great that my talk inspired many, there is a flurry of activity around community building.

I sense a couple of common notions coming across in these discussions:
* We haven't had any meet-ups so far, so it would be great if we had at least one per month going forward.

* BRUG's monthly meetings being rotated among many offices is the best thing to emulate.

Both of these betray a 'scarcity mentality' which I can guarantee will not take the group very far.

In my view, a city that could put up a lavish & super successful 2 day ruby conference can easily handle multiple regular meetings on a monthly/weekly basis.

Let's figure out the WHY of this question first; the WHAT & HOW parts will automatically fall in place.

So WHY should there be an active Ruby User Group in Pune?

My answer would be as follows:

* To make it easy for newcomers to find out about ruby programming language & the ruby community, and support them in their journey as a ruby programmer.

* To make possible the emergence of a Jim Weirich / Aaron Patterson / Steve Klabnik from Pune.

* To fuel the growth of ruby related jobs & the number of ruby programmers in Pune.

Any other reasons why Pune should have an active ruby community?

~Prakash

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 10:53 PM, pastafari <mohit....@gmail.com> wrote:

Nishant Modak

Jun 25, 2013, 1:53:12 PM6/25/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
+1 to July 6th at TW. Time?

Regards
निशांत मोडक

Shirish Padalkar

Jun 25, 2013, 1:43:56 PM6/25/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com

Great idea. I am in. :)

girish....@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2013, 9:40:13 PM6/25/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
+1 July 6.

Sent from my iPhone

Gautam Rege

Jun 25, 2013, 10:12:34 PM6/25/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com, pune...@googlegroups.com
I'm in + a few more ppl from josh.

- Gautam
Sent from my iPhone

prathamesh sonpatki

Jun 25, 2013, 10:14:54 PM6/25/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
I am in. On a sidenote, i have created a IRC channel #punerb on freenode for us.
./prathamesh

Anil W

Jun 26, 2013, 12:17:49 AM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
I am in.

Rotating it monthly like brug is great idea. So everyone gets chance to host it.

I really liked when you say 'lets revive', it's been more than 3-4 (may be more) years since a Pune Ruby meetup has happened.

As Prakash said on Twitter conversation, for the first meetup we will have agenda: 'Create Pune RUG's future!' along with 2-3 Ruby talks.

Prathamesh has already setup IRC channel #punerb on freenode. Lets create Twitter handle for this for announcing updates. We need to create a website as brug one, lets discuss about it in first meetup. We can use http://gathers.us/ like brug or meetup.com for RSVPs.

I am also in to co-ordinate for monthly RUG meetup..

--
Thanks,
Anil

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 10:53 PM, pastafari <mohit....@gmail.com> wrote:

Best,
Anil

Siddharth Sharma

Jun 26, 2013, 12:26:18 AM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
I think one thing that will greatly help is buy in from employers. If employers can spare the time to have this activity during office hours, it is a no-brainer to attend. When these activities happen outside office hours, many times there are clashing commitments and people cannot attend no matter how much they want to.

Friday afternoon 4 pm in the office sounds just perfect. Or Wednesdays, to get over the midweek monotony.

Companies who confidently state that they are supporters of the community by encouraging employees to attend such meetups as part of their job will be clear winners in the recruiting game.

I think Josh Software's Open Source Fridays is pretty cool for this reason. Open Source Saturday just doesn't have the same ring to it ;-)

Sudarshan Shubakar

Jun 26, 2013, 12:36:58 AM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

Weekdays may not work for individual rubyists like me.

Around what time are we thinking on 6th July?

-Sudarshan.

Mohit Thatte

Jun 26, 2013, 12:51:15 AM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
@_svs_
I think we'll be more inclusive if we do it on weekends - students, freelancers and corporate hamsters like myself who need to bill 8 hours a day ;-)

Time and place?
Time: How about 10:30 - 12:30 in the morning?
Place: @gautamrege do you want to host the first one at Josh? We can also host it at TW.

What do we do?
Like @anildigital says we can decide specifics on day 1.

I think it will be more interesting if we have short talks/demos on the first day itself.

I have created a Trello org here to co-ordinate: https://trello.com/board/pune-rug-monthly-meetups/51ca7220e8f48b0c50000a02
It should be open to all to add things. Please add talk proposals to the first board, and we can then decide by popular demand what we want to hear. I for one want moar Arduino awesomeness :)) (please ping me directly if you can't access it and I'll try to change permissions!)

Cheers all,
Mohit (pastafari)

PS: pop quiz, how many times did @_prakash use the word 'moar' in his talk ;-)
-Mohit Thatte

Sushil Damdhere

Jun 26, 2013, 12:59:25 AM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
+1, Love to see you guys again.

On 6/25/13, Mohit Thatte <mohit....@gmail.com> wrote:
> @_svs_
> I think we'll be more inclusive if we do it on weekends - students,
> freelancers and corporate hamsters like myself who need to bill 8 hours a
> day ;-)
>
> *Time and place?*
> Time: How about 10:30 - 12:30 in the morning?
> Place: @gautamrege do you want to host the first one at Josh? We can also
> host it at TW.
>
> *What do we do?*

Gautam Rege

Jun 26, 2013, 1:06:29 AM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
I agree with @_svs_ that attending meet ups should be part of our working culture -- not a weekend optional activity. I don't buy the 8 hour billing story even though I run a services company! Are you saying a attending meetups does not play a part of improving code that your write for your clients? Its for that reason we host Pune Rails Meetup on Friday evenings. These evenings sometimes turn into planned or unplanned drink ups and a LOT of ideas flow - not just Rails but also Ruby. Infact more often, its some gem that we talk about.

Anyway, I don't want to "brew" up a debate at this early stage, so I shall stop.

TW @ 10.30am on Saturday (grudgingly)
- Gautam

Siddharth Sharma

Jun 26, 2013, 1:08:44 AM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Point taken. Seems my student and freelancer days have been atypical ;-)

Mohit Thatte

Jun 26, 2013, 1:26:37 AM6/26/13
to puneruby
Ok, so we are fixed for 10:30 AM on Saturday, July 6 at TW Pune.

Lets take the debate about more weekday meetups as one of the topics for conversation! Two things now to be done:

What do we do?
Its really important that everyone feels like attending the RUG because its valuable. Anyone want to put up their hands and do a talk?

How do we get the word out?
We need to make some noise in the right places and get as much attendance as possible. Can we use the #punerug hashtag as a starting point?
Also can we add the Saturday event to the meetups page? Is that a public place or do we have admins?

~Mohit

Asif Momin

Jun 26, 2013, 1:33:17 AM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Nice Initiative Mohit. I am in.

I will also bring more people from my company.

Anup Nivargi

Jun 26, 2013, 3:09:59 AM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
+1 for TW on 6th Jul.

Mohit: The trello link does not work https://trello.com/board/pune-rug-monthly-meetups/51ca7220e8f48b0c50000a02 (get a board not found error)

We could still continue to use http://www.meetup.com/PuneRailsMeetup/ page to track rsvp's, also it has 450+ members there, so does not make any sense to dump the meetup page.

Anup Nivargi

Jun 26, 2013, 3:19:57 AM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Created a Meetup Page http://www.meetup.com/PuneRailsMeetup/events/126540552/

Vikrant Labde

Jun 26, 2013, 4:27:15 AM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
First of all thanks to all organizers of #rubyconfindia - it was a great-productive conference talking about a lot of technology. It's great we are starting a meetup to talk about Ruby and ecosystem.

@gautamrege indeed, it should be part of our working culture, I would be more happy to attend it on Friday instead, for two reasons unplanned drinks and ideas :)

Btw, I am in with couple of more guys from @cuelogic on 6th at TW

Also we can do meetup at Cuelogic office as well.

-Vikrant Labde
CTO at Cuelogic

Shirish Padalkar

Jun 26, 2013, 1:25:38 AM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Regarding talks, how about inviting people (from Pune, initially) who submitted talk to RubyConf, but didn't present? I am sure Gautam or somebody will have a list of people who submitted the talks. We can probably check with them if they are ready to present their talk in meetup. :)

With regards,
Shirish Padalkar
http://twitter.com/_Garbage_

prathamesh sonpatki

Jun 26, 2013, 4:43:37 AM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
great idea

./prathamesh

Bhushan Ahire

Jun 26, 2013, 8:38:27 AM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
:( Missing lots of action in Pune. Will surely join you guys after 14 July.

Mohit Thatte

Jun 26, 2013, 11:02:42 AM6/26/13
to puneruby
Thanks Anup for creating the meetup, 21 RSVP's already means at least 2.1 people will show up ;-)

Lets focus on the agenda next:

We can experiment with the EuRuCo model of having a voting system. I've now created a "public" Trello board that anyone with a link can access over here:

Please add talk proposals to the first board. You can either propose a talk yourself, or just add something that you are interested in hearing and we can hunt around for speakers.

Also if you like some idea, please +1 it. In order to vote for an idea, you need to open the menu for an item and click 'More actions...' followed by 'Vote'. That will give us a count of 'Likes', and we can take the ideas with maximum likes forward to the agenda.

Cheers all... keep the momentum going :)

~Mohit

-Mohit Thatte

Anup Nivargi

Jun 26, 2013, 12:09:13 PM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Mohit on Trello, even though its a public board you need to add people to the board for them to contribute?
Regards,
Anup NIVARGI
+91 9890068001
Skype: anup.nivargi
http://www.noop.in

Mohit Thatte

Jun 26, 2013, 12:25:24 PM6/26/13
to puneruby
Oh kay then :)  Looks like Trello shoots down all my efforts to use it!

Any alternatives for a 'system' or shall we just go old school and continue in this mail thread?

~M

Ajey Gore

Jun 26, 2013, 12:38:01 PM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com

Yawn

Use droptask.

Or even Google spread sheet is great. We organized whole conference using spread sheets :-)

Ajey

Sudarshan Shubakar

Jun 26, 2013, 12:33:20 PM6/26/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com

Trello works for me.

Thanks.
Sudarshan Shubakar.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PuneRuby" group.

Siddharth Sharma

Jun 27, 2013, 12:42:10 AM6/27/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Trello didn't work for me either. Google spreadsheet sounds like a good option.

Or try this: https://github.com/svs/pune-rug fork, edit and send PR. To vote - write your github account email address by the talk name.

dexterous

Jun 27, 2013, 2:47:22 AM6/27/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Well, technically we ran the conference on email, phone and a shit-load of trust! But that's another story. :)

I'll give you the same advice I gave the folks behind PythonPune. Don't work too hard at building/setting up something to submit and vote on talks. It's not like you're going to be beating away speakers with a stick; more like you're going to be hunting them down in the Amazon without a map or a guide, armed with just a pair of scratched-up, old binoculars. So, take it from someone who's tried, even a Google Spreadsheet is Too Much(TM). I'm sure Gautam will be more than happy to narrate how much fun it is to find people to speak once a month, leave aside speak on interesting topics.

Do what the BRUG does; put up a notice of when and where the Meetup will be and wait for attendees and speakers to 'emerge'.

http://www.meetup.com/PuneRailsMeetup/ is a good place to start putting up the notices. They already have a good following going which should give you a fair bit of reach. However, if you insist on having your own independent branding, have the Organizer of PuneRailsMeetup create a new Meetup for you 'cause Meetup allows an Organizer to run up to 3 meetups at no additional cost. Have them Xpost the first few meetups and when you've got enough traction, stop bugging them.

As for speakers, the best option is to have members volunteer, but in my experience, that lasts about 3 meet ups; that's about how much time it takes for people to figure out the effort required to put in a talk. :) At this point, the 'hunt' begins. Alternatively, you could have members nominate speakers/talks and leverage that with peer pressure. But, that'll only get you so far. The key is to get enough people in the community comfortable as well as capable enough that they can get past the 3 Meetup horizon.

As for the schedule for the Meetup, I'm sure you'll have that discussion at your first one. All I can say is that I wish you luck on that discussion. It is rarely interesting but almost always divided. :P I suggest you simply stick to the timing you have decided now till actual data (asses in seats at meet ups) suggests that it isn't working. The pick another time and rinse-repeat!

Feel free to get back to me with any queries/comments you may have.

- d

Siddharth Sharma

Jun 27, 2013, 3:24:06 AM6/27/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Nice post @dexterous. This is "lean meetup"!

dexterous

Jun 27, 2013, 9:10:02 AM6/27/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Yes, i'm _leaning_ on my experiences from running PJUG for the last 3 years! ;)

- d

dexterous

Jun 27, 2013, 11:45:09 AM6/27/13
to pune...@googlegroups.com
BTW, WRT collaboration tools:

- stuff like trello, pivotal and asana are wonderfully organized but not very efficient unless you have a gated community since you need to manage user identities.
- Google spreadsheet is a little more free form and let's you organize flexibly, but still does identities. However that worked out well for us with RCI as the entire org team had gmail.com identities. Google forms are a little more relaxed about identities, but end up being TooMuch(TM) work for a Meetup.
- email/mailing lists pretty much evade all these issues but tend to get very disorganized, very fast!
- wikis are a bit better but tend to get spammed, especially if we end up posting URLs and emails.

I'm yet to find something that can strike just the right balance, so it's usually a game of tradeoffs. But, we should be used to that by now, what with our years of experience in software architecture & design, right? :P

- d

Sheetal Wagh Jadhav

Oct 9, 2014, 3:10:32 AM10/9/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com