apart from the monthly meetups...

Aakash Dharmadhikari

Oct 4, 2014, 3:12:29 PM10/4/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

Today was a lot of fun and in an attempt to keep the tempo up, we ended up planning a few more hands-on events. These are the rough activities that came up during the discussion:

Code Reading

The goal is to dig deep into various applications, libraries, frameworks or languages to learn from it. We might learn different patterns to solve certain problems or just get more comfortable with the code itself in order to start contributing to it.

Whatever the goal may be, reading someone else’s code is always educational; if nothing else then just to know how not to write it :)

Frequency: once every two weeks

Please give suggestions as to what code you would like to read and discuss as part of this group.

Book Reading Club

This is such an old idea, that probably nobody knows when it started. But it’s really useful to help us get through those great books that everybody seems to start but nobody really completes.

Which books do you want to read?

We had some suggestions come up:

Which one of these you would like to read? Do you have any other suggestion?

Frequency: once every two weeks

What’s your take on all this?

— Aakash
http://c42.in/

Satish Talim

Oct 4, 2014, 8:43:42 PM10/4/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
In case you'll need any eBooks from O'Reilly, let me know.

https://twitter.com/punerb
Join #punerb irc channel on http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=punerb
http://www.punerb.org/
---

Karan Ahuja

Oct 5, 2014, 3:55:25 AM10/5/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
hi guys

I am from mumbai.
Great to see activity on the group :)

How will book reading sessions work ?

Will we read at own time and then summarize ?

Please elaborate a little.

Tc,
Karan

Aakash Dharmadhikari

Oct 5, 2014, 5:19:54 AM10/5/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com

Hello Karan,

The book reading club achieves two things:

  • Help you keep going and complete the book
  • Get different perspectives and experiences from others in the group

We will be picking the most popular book amongst the participants and decide on the chapters that we want to complete by a certain date. On that day we come together to discuss our understanding, experiences as well as doubts. We decide on which chapters to complete before the next meeting and rinse repeat.

Does that make sense? Thoughts?

Vipul A M

Oct 5, 2014, 5:56:27 AM10/5/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
+1 for PoEAA for me.

As discussed we'll be meeting over dinner/or simply hangout on the
14th of October, tuesday.
Will post a link to event soon, will need a location and time.

Thanks,

Vipul A.M.
+91-8149-204995

Karthikeyan A K

Oct 5, 2014, 6:19:04 AM10/5/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
I am against TDD just for the sake of it. It makes development time extend by 3X. Yes big enterprises can pay for it, but small businesses can't. I don't think Kent Beck would have captured that in his book.

Karan Ahuja

Oct 5, 2014, 7:35:30 AM10/5/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
@akash - sounds super.

Prathamesh Sonpatki

Oct 5, 2014, 1:18:58 PM10/5/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
I will vote for TDD by Kent Beck. Lets see what others think :)
./prathamesh

Aakash Dharmadhikari

Oct 5, 2014, 2:04:29 PM10/5/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com

+1 for PoEAA

Shirish Padalkar

Oct 6, 2014, 12:41:58 AM10/6/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karthikeyan,

>> Yes big enterprises can pay for it, but small businesses can't.

That's debatable. And of course it depends on complexity, testing efforts required after each release, and so many other factors.

>> I don't think Kent Beck would have captured that in his book.

I am not sure if you have read the book. I think it's up to each of us to draw a parallel from the book to our projects. Dismissing a book without even knowing what author is trying to talk about seems a little harsh.

In any case, personally I think it's a great book and you should give it a try.

With regards,
Shirish (http://twitter.com/_Garbage_)

Vipul A M

Oct 6, 2014, 1:09:24 AM10/6/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Added - http://www.meetup.com/PuneRailsMeetup/events/211671452/
Will add location soon. Please let me know if 16-17 is an acceptable date.

We already have a discussion going here, lets take it to the meetup
though, and after everyone's better acquainted with the books ;-)

Thanks,

Vipul A.M.
+91-8149-204995

Bhushan Lodha

Oct 6, 2014, 4:30:51 AM10/6/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
+1 for PoEAA

Swanand Pagnis

Oct 6, 2014, 4:30:52 AM10/6/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
I am going to go out on a limb, and suggest against PoEAA, TDD, and recommend "Understanding Computation" by Tom Stuart.  It's a great book that will give you far more insights into programming than anything else.  The entire book uses Ruby for examples, and Tom maintains a fluid narrative throughout.

Read a chapter or two to decide for yourself. Or, listen to this talk by him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1jYlPtkrqQ

My two pennies.

Aakash Dharmadhikari

Oct 6, 2014, 5:53:14 AM10/6/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Swanand, that sounds like a really nice book. I would love to read it.

Prathamesh Sonpatki

Oct 8, 2014, 12:52:10 PM10/8/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Swanand, Thanks for suggestion. So lets settle on computation book?
./prathamesh

Bhushan Lodha

Oct 8, 2014, 1:56:35 PM10/8/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
I'm in for computation book. Swanand, thanks for the suggestion.

Karan Ahuja

Oct 8, 2014, 2:28:15 PM10/8/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Enthu abt this.
What's next folks.

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Swanand Pagnis <swanand...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am going to go out on a limb, and suggest against PoEAA, TDD, and recommend "Understanding Computation" by Tom Stuart.  It's a great book that will give you far more insights into programming than anything else.  The entire book uses Ruby for examples, and Tom maintains a fluid narrative throughout.

Read a chapter or two to decide for yourself. Or, listen to this talk by him: Tom Stuart - Refactoring Ruby with Monads

My two pennies.

--
./prathamesh

Chandan Kumar

Oct 8, 2014, 2:28:22 PM10/8/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Computation Book.

@Swanand: Thanks for the suggestion.
Chandan Kumar

Aakash Dharmadhikari

Oct 8, 2014, 3:47:24 PM10/8/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
I change my vote after watching that YouTube video. If you haven't watched it yet, please do that now.

+1 for Understanding Computation

@swanand: You have earned yourself a beer

Looks like we have the winner as this book gets the maximum votes,

We are meeting on the coming Wednesday. Chapter 1 is just an introduction to Ruby and Chapter 2 covers fundamentals to what a program is. We can probably finish till the second chapter by the time we meet.

That way we also get a sense of what the book feels like and how easy/difficult it is to power through it.

Thoughts?

Karan Ahuja

Oct 9, 2014, 1:52:18 AM10/9/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
For mumbai folks, can we meet for some time via handouts ?

On Thursday, October 9, 2014, Aakash Dharmadhikari <aak...@gmail.com> wrote:
I change my vote after watching that YouTube video. If you haven't watched it yet, please do that now.

+1 for Understanding Computation

@swanand: You have earned yourself a beer

Looks like we have the winner as this book gets the maximum votes,

We are meeting on the coming Wednesday. Chapter 1 is just an introduction to Ruby and Chapter 2 covers fundamentals to what a program is. We can probably finish till the second chapter by the time we meet.

That way we also get a sense of what the book feels like and how easy/difficult it is to power through it.

Thoughts?
+1 for Computation Book.

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 10:07 PM, Prathamesh Sonpatki <cson...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Aakash Dharmadhikari

Oct 9, 2014, 3:59:25 AM10/9/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, we can do that, but in my experience that doesn't work out well. It's difficult to have a group-discussion around hangout when most of the group is in one place. Having said that, it doesn't hurt to try.

Tejas Bubane

Oct 9, 2014, 6:06:00 AM10/9/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Karan Ahuja <karan2...@gmail.com> wrote:
For mumbai folks, can we meet for some time via handouts ?

+1 for this. I am from Mumbai too and would love to participate.

Prathamesh Sonpatki

Oct 9, 2014, 1:15:49 PM10/9/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. I have updated the meetup page http://www.meetup.com/PuneRailsMeetup/events/211671452/. We can meet at The Chai on FC road.

I have changed the meetup date to 16th from 15th as 15th is election day.

Thanks.

https://twitter.com/punerb
Join #punerb irc channel on http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=punerb
http://www.punerb.org/
---

./prathamesh

Aakash Dharmadhikari

Oct 9, 2014, 1:30:00 PM10/9/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Wouldn't 15th be perfect then. Most of the offices would be off or have half-day on that day, right?

Swanand Pagnis

Oct 9, 2014, 9:24:28 PM10/9/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Great!  Do post your progress.  I will suggest this in the next BRUG meetup, we would love to take it up there too.

Prathamesh Sonpatki

Oct 9, 2014, 11:04:25 PM10/9/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com
Akash, makes sense. Updated meetup page.

Vipul A M

Oct 10, 2014, 2:24:42 AM10/10/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com, Satish Talim
Satish, we'll be reading http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920025481.do .
You said we should ping if its from OReilly.

Vipul A.M.
+91-8149-204995

Satish Talim

Oct 10, 2014, 5:16:34 AM10/10/14
to Vipul A M, pune...@googlegroups.com
If needed I can get a soft copy of any of the books listed there, from O'Reilly.

Rishi Jain

Oct 10, 2014, 2:33:49 PM10/10/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com, vipul...@gmail.com, satish...@gmail.com
This is awesome initiative guys. I am not in Pune right now. But would still love to do the reading. Can somebody upload the e-book when you have it?

Aakash Dharmadhikari

Oct 15, 2014, 3:03:45 AM10/15/14
to pune...@googlegroups.com, vipul...@gmail.com, satish...@gmail.com
Hello all,

I am driving from Kalyani Nagar or Magarpatta area to the venue. I can use some company for the long and boring journey. Anyone wants a ride?

You can get in touch with me on 7798638855