Request to google-public-dns-a.google.com timed-out

Andrei

Sep 5, 2013, 3:48:23 PM9/5/13
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
Domain: lyricsforsong.net
Problem: Google Public DNS fails to answer

C:\>nslookup -debug www.lyricsforsong.net 8.8.8.8
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 1,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        8.8.8.8.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  8.8.8.8.in-addr.arpa
        ttl = 19052 (5 hours 17 mins 32 secs)

------------
Address:  8.8.8.8

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
timeout (2 secs)
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
timeout (2 secs)
*** Request to google-public-dns-a.google.com timed-out

Any idea why?

Regards,
Andrei

kogaln...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2013, 3:47:30 AM9/9/13
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com, kogaln...@gmail.com
This problem persists and I don't know if it is caused by my webhost or is a Google Public DNS problem. All I can answer to the complaining visitors is to stop using Google Public DNS.

:
        opcode
= QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags
:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions
= 1,  answers = 1,  authority records = 0,  additional =

    QUESTIONS
:

8.8.8.8.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
    ANSWERS
:

->  8.8.8.8.in-addr.arpa
        name
= google-public-dns-a.google.
com
        ttl
= 21600 (6 hours)

------------
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8
DNS request timed
out.
    timeout was
2 seconds.
timeout
(2 secs)
DNS request timed
out.
    timeout was
2 seconds.
timeout
(2 secs)
*** Request to google-public-dns-a.google.com timed-out

Everything is fine with any other DNS server:

C:\>nslookup -debug www.lyricsforsong.net 4.2.2.2

------------
Got answer:
    HEADER
:
        opcode
= QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags
:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions
= 1,  answers = 1,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS
:

2.2.2.4.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
    ANSWERS
:

->  2.2.2.4.in-addr.arpa
        name
= b.resolvers.Level3.net
        ttl
= 73971 (20 hours 32 mins 51 secs)

------------
Server:  b.resolvers.Level3.net
Address:  4.2.2.2

------------
Got answer:
    HEADER
:
        opcode
= QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags
:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions
= 1,  answers = 2,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS
:
        www
.lyricsforsong.net, type = A, class = IN
    ANSWERS
:

->  www.lyricsforsong.net
        canonical name
= lyricsforsong.net
        ttl
= 14400 (4 hours)

->  lyricsforsong.net
        internet address
= 85.25.131.9
        ttl
= 14400 (4 hours)

------------
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    lyricsforsong.net
Address:  85.25.131.9
Aliases:  www.lyricsforsong.net

Any solutions?

Regards,
Andrei

Shen Wan

Sep 9, 2013, 9:33:40 AM9/9/13
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com, kogaln...@gmail.com
Hi,

I just checked and most of our resolvers can resolve lyricsforsong.net. A few of them got TIMEOUT from the nameserver though. Please contact the nameserver owners and make sure they are not blocking Google Public DNS. Our IP: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/faq#locations

kogaln...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2013, 4:35:26 AM9/20/13
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com, kogaln...@gmail.com
Some of those IPs were indeed automatically banned by the server firewall, it seems that G.P. DNS requested repeatedly domains that were not hosted there. The firewall saw this as an attack and banned the IPs. Problem fixed now.

Thank you for your response.

Shen Wan

Sep 24, 2013, 5:03:58 PM9/24/13
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com, kogaln...@gmail.com
Thank you for helping to resolve this issue!