google hangouts and the incessant "are you still there?" question

zerof...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2012, 1:07:33 PM8/12/12
to public-d...@googlegroups.com
So I have a a problem with google hangouts.  Generally speaking, I'm sure most people spend a fair amount of time talking to their friends when "hanging out" or talking on the phone.  The programmers for the video chat software seem to think that we should all be playing around with the devices and add-ons they've created for "hangouts" and requires you to press a button every 30-60 minutes if you don't, which distracts from the purpose of the software, which is, you know... talking and seeing who you are talking to.  And what happens if you don't answer yes to the question, "are you still there?", you get kicked out of the hangout session and it closes.  What does google care if I accidentally or purposely left my video chat session open over night or throughout the day.   I think it is a bit presumptuous and audacious to think that your products are so great that we as the consumers can't keep our mouse off of them.  This is no doubt also an energy conserving extra as well but if it isn't going to be removed from the program entirely, then there should be an option to disable it.  I mean, when I think of google I'd like to think of a company who creates products for their audience and not just to compete with other services.  I expect better from google.  To have more control over how my programs act and not be forced down an optionless path like microsoft and mac do.

In summary, hangouts is a lot better than Skype.  The most popular alternative.  However, the question to keep the session open is unnecessary.  Please remove it or add an option to disable it so I can stay connected to the session while I don't touch my computer.

If you need a reason for why this bothers me so much, and where I coming from with this issue... I am separated by a fair amount of distance from my girl and video chatting is the closest approximation to being with each other.  We often leave the chat service open over night while we sleep since we talk late into the night and just sort of fall asleep.  But since using hangouts, we find ourselves disconnected come morning time.  I am sure you can understand how horrible you would feel if you went to sleep with someone and found they had disappeared when you woke up.

Thanks for reading.  :)

dm7...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2012, 2:34:48 AM10/22/12
to public-d...@googlegroups.com, zerof...@gmail.com
same situation. i like this better than skype but i hate this disconnect thing.

marku...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2012, 2:42:46 PM12/19/12
to public-d...@googlegroups.com, zerof...@gmail.com
Hey there,

I also dont like the question, especially because there seems to be no algorithm that checks whether no activity is going on.
You get those messages even while talking to someone... this can become really annoying.

Generally speaking its a great idea to disconnect "afk" people, but please don't ask on a 30 minute basis ;)
There is already an algorithm to change the "big" video to the one who is speaking... simply use that to check if you are afk :)

Markus

alanth...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2013, 4:59:39 AM1/3/13
to public-d...@googlegroups.com, zerof...@gmail.com
I thought I was the only one with this problem! We need to make sure Google hears us!

shanek...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2013, 11:42:17 AM1/14/13
to public-d...@googlegroups.com, zerof...@gmail.com, alanth...@gmail.com
I really hope they change this feature to optional!

joshuas...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2013, 12:38:21 AM3/11/13
to public-d...@googlegroups.com, zerof...@gmail.com
I completely agree! My girlfriend and I use video chat a lot due to our distance apart. We went from Skype to iChat. We like Google+ but hate the disconnect. As lame as this may sound, we often fall asleep on cam and like it. With Google+, we wake up and we're disconnected.

I would also really like the option to go fullscreen! I know they added it for the "On Air" features, but I would like the same option.

afuture...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2013, 10:28:58 PM7/8/13
to public-d...@googlegroups.com
I completely agree! The only two reasons I still use Skype is fullscreen support and no stupidly annoying "are you still there?"

Also...My Girlfriend suggests if you must have "are you still there" (as long as it's optional), you should make it in the portal turret voice ;) lol

bandit...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2013, 5:05:46 AM7/10/13
to public-d...@googlegroups.com, zerof...@gmail.com
It is much better but I do not want to be disconected.

kala...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2013, 1:55:35 AM7/20/13

El domingo, 12 de agosto de 2012 12:07:33 UTC-5, zerof...@gmail.com escribió:
[...]
Message has been deleted

moruc...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2013, 8:20:04 PM10/8/13
to public-d...@googlegroups.com, zerof...@gmail.com
Totally agree! Actually, I just want Talk back. Hangouts sucks!

alaaa...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2013, 5:08:03 PM10/12/13
to public-d...@googlegroups.com, zerof...@gmail.com
you read my mind brother , Totally agree with you , i heat to be disconnected ...!!!

liz...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2013, 8:30:21 PM12/20/13
to public-d...@googlegroups.com, zerof...@gmail.com
I agree. Especially considering skype isn't compatible with chromebooks..

s.b...@wingate.edu

Dec 21, 2013, 4:56:18 PM12/21/13
to public-d...@googlegroups.com, zerof...@gmail.com
I use hangouts for all sorts of things.  Conversations however are the most important.  And If I am using the audio chat feature while playing online games and in the middle of the game i have to click "yes i'm still here"  it is more than inconvenient.  I often die, or get dropped from the call and I am faithfully using this product because it is better than the alternatives in every other way.  But I admit, if i want to talk for more than an hour or play a game, I will use skype.

ethan...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2014, 12:47:50 AM2/11/14
to public-d...@googlegroups.com, zerof...@gmail.com
I can't believe this is still an issue...eliminate this "feature" already devs!

samanth...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2014, 11:14:36 AM2/21/14
to public-d...@googlegroups.com, zerof...@gmail.com

I am having this problem too. I'm trying to use this service to talk and listen to a conference while looking at other things on my computer. I didn't even know it was asking me if I was still there, it just suddenly shuts off.

iliketo...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2014, 10:53:24 AM3/1/14
to public-d...@googlegroups.com, zerof...@gmail.com
I didn't realize this "feature" has been in here since 2012... I use Hangouts daily for the better part of 3 plus hours ... This feature is completely unnecessary, considering that Hangouts has the feature to detect voices... Just do a simply background check every 30 minutes to see if someone is still audibly present.

Or just disable it ... -_-

electri...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2014, 9:45:53 AM8/23/14
to public-d...@googlegroups.com
I totally agree with you and do the same thing with my girlfriend. Google's dropping the ball here.

Nate

Sep 4, 2014, 3:49:12 AM9/4/14
to public-d...@googlegroups.com
I would really like an option to turn this off or set the amount of time before disconnect. Interestingly this doesn't seem to be a problem on mobile Hangouts.