!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For smart city plan, Pune needs BRTS, cycle tracks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sujit Patwardhan

Nov 22, 2014, 2:27:29 AM11/22/14
to PTTF General

We need action, not just words !!!!!!

"Ease of being able to move from one place to another is at the core of the smart city plan. Seoul, Singapore, Yokohama and Barcelona (all considered smart cities) have a sound transport system as the core of their "smartness". The transport system emphasizes on walking, cycling and public transport as primary means for mobility with personal motor vehicles being actively discouraged. In fact, smart cities lay considerable emphasis on walkability in cities. The pedestrian is given a place of prominence as every trip has a leg that involves walking," states the Union government's note on smart city scheme.

For smart city plan, Pune needs BRTS, cycle tracks
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/pune/For-smart-city-plan-Pune-needs-BRTS-cycle-tracks/articleshow/45224125.cms

--
Sujit

Parisar

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardh...@gmail.com
su...@parisar.org
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627
Parisar: www.parisar.org

Ashok Datar

Nov 22, 2014, 3:56:47 AM11/22/14
to PTTF General, mumbaitran...@googlegroups.com
pune unfortunately is no longer small
in terms of population it is bigger all the cities that u have cited sujit
but that does not mean we should not promote sustainable transport like walking, cycles and buses in this order.
although I wonder whether we should not consider "power assist mobikes" which will only provide extra power when there is a climb while u need to pedal
this is under development
and consumes very little energy
for older and weaker and those who need to climb should find it useful
ashok

Ashok R. Datar
Mumbai Environmental Social Network (MESN) &
 Mumbai Transport Forum (MTF)

20 Madhavi, Makarand Society, S.V.S.Marg, Mahim-400 016
98676 65107/0222 444 9212 see our website : www.mesn.org

A city is developed not when poor ride or aspire for cars, but where the rich use public transport

Ranjit Gadgil

Nov 22, 2014, 4:00:07 AM11/22/14
to PTTF General
Alight from the cycle and walk up. Easier. Simpler. No need for any "power assist".

-- Ranjit