Bizarre that a 'No Vehicle Zone' plan .. is REDUCING public transport usage?!

1 view

Amit Paranjape

Aug 13, 2014, 6:07:04 AM8/13/14
to ptt...@googlegroups.com
Bizarre that a 'No Vehicle Zone' plan .. is REDUCING public transport usage?! Shouldn't the goal be other way round! (Increase public transport use)?

Ashok Sreenivas

Aug 13, 2014, 7:59:16 AM8/13/14
to PTTF General
They haven't said it would reduce PT usage - in fact they say it will increase it. Problem is even now  PMPML loses money for every km they run and they are talking of concessional fares in this case which means more losses to PMPML. And PMC is, right now at least, graciously saying they will fill the gap.

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Amit Paranjape <apara...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bizarre that a 'No Vehicle Zone' plan .. is REDUCING public transport usage?! Shouldn't the goal be other way round! (Increase public transport use)?

Ranjit Gadgil

Aug 14, 2014, 8:36:53 AM8/14/14
to PTTF General
What exactly is this 'No Vehicle Zone' or is it a 'No Vehicle Day' is not clear. Neither are the objectives nor how this will be planned (by whom). Unless we intervene they'll do something extremely haphazard, it'll flop and they'll stop it.

:-(

-- Ranjit

Sujit Patwardhan

Aug 14, 2014, 9:06:02 AM8/14/14
to PTTF General

From the report this is what it looks like:

Once a week different areas will implement "No vehicle Zone" where private vehicles will be banned and only Public Transport (PMPML) buses will ply. To encourage travellers to use PT buses PMPML will charge a subsidized rate for buses travelling in the No Vehicle Zone. PMC will make up for the losses (caused by subsidized tickets).

Details are not mentioned nor would they have been worked out (going by PMC's past record), so each zone under No Vehicle Plan will experience glitches - some serious which will have the potential to wreck the whole plan, so we should try to get the details and give our views to PMC.

--
Sujit

It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

- J. Krishnamurti

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardh...@gmail.com
su...@parisar.org
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627
Parisar: www.parisar.org

Ranjit Gadgil

Aug 15, 2014, 1:39:44 AM8/15/14
to PTTF General
If the zone is very small, this won't work. Ideally this'll work only if they do a city-wide no vehicle day.

-- Ranjit