Fwd: Pune Municipal Corporation calls for proposals to make a Comprehensive Bicycle Plan

Ranjit Gadgil

Jul 16, 2014, 1:26:36 AM7/16/14
to PTTF General
I am pleased to inform that the Pune Municipal Corporation has called for proposals to make a comprehensive bicycle plan for Pune. This effort will be supported by the Ministry of Urban Development, Govt. of India.

Broadly there are 2 parts to the proposal - technical part and social part. The RfP (the draft of which was uploaded on the PMC website, and they had also called for suggestions) places great stress on public interactions and consultations.

--
-- Ranjit

Bicycle Plan - Tender Notice - 14 Jul 2014 IE.GIF
103-2014 road.docx

Abhijit Athavale

Jul 16, 2014, 1:56:39 AM7/16/14
to ptt...@googlegroups.com
Ranjit,

What is a comprehensive bicycle plan? The verbiage by itself makes no sense.

Ranjit Gadgil

Jul 16, 2014, 4:50:54 AM7/16/14
to PTTF General
In short, a plan to increase cycling in the city by having a specific roadmap for the city to follow. It will include a physical network of cycle tracks (improve existing, identify missing to create a complete network), cycle safe streets (which may not have a dedicated cycle track), cycle parking, awareness campaigns and capacity building within the PMC. Should have short-, mid- and long-term goals and a very detailed plan of action for first three years.

etc etc

-- Ranjit

Abhijit Athavale

Jul 16, 2014, 8:24:59 AM7/16/14
to ptt...@googlegroups.com

OK - I sincerely hope that this ends the proposed hawker resettlement plans.

----- Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse the brevity.

Anil Risbud

Jul 17, 2014, 4:06:16 AM7/17/14
to PTTF General
great!
p.s. hope there were bidders for the PMPML biz plan RfP.
has the work been awarded already?
rgds,
Anil

Ranjit Gadgil

Jul 18, 2014, 12:55:11 AM7/18/14
to PTTF General
Responding to both.

No, it doesn't seem to have changed decision about hawkers and vendors - will need to speak to AdMC about this - the solution to that problem lies in the Street Design Guidelines more than the Comprehensive Bicycle Plan (CBP)

Yes, many bidders for the PMPML biz plan - well known companies. As usual PMPML sitting on it - Sujit has been after them to start the evaluation and awarding process. Quite frustrating.

-- Ranjit

Abhijit Athavale

Jul 18, 2014, 1:14:19 AM7/18/14
to ptt...@googlegroups.com
At this rate, PMPMP is probably sitting on top of proposals about 20 feet high. Pathetic!

------
Best Regards,
Abhijit Athavale

Anil Risbud

Jul 18, 2014, 5:43:00 AM7/18/14
to PTTF General
tks for the update.
rgds,
Anil

Ranjit Gadgil

Jul 20, 2014, 3:05:11 AM7/20/14
to PTTF General
I don't share your pessimism obviously. I think we should think of this as our plan, not PMPML's plan or the consultant's plan. We have to own it, drive it. And create the structures to facilitate this.

Perhaps time to create a strong PMPML Improvement Forum who will closely monitor the implementation of the plan and act as a pressure group.

Should try to rope in some big names from Corporate sector, Edu institutes, Media etc.

We should think of ways to get them to implement the plan, simply saying they won't and throwing up our hands shouldn't be an option.

-- Ranjit

Anil Risbud

Jul 20, 2014, 3:50:55 AM7/20/14
to PTTF General
get an article printed in press, about the RfP etc. and that PMPML is in the "process of awarding a contract" then go on to educate laypeople how long range planning would help. Provide contact names/tel nos. of PMPML top officials (with their permission) to create a sense of accountability to the public.
rgds,
Anil