Fwd: MMRDA Terms of Reference for RITES - TEFR for Monorail in Mumbai

Ranjit Gadgil

Mar 27, 2015, 6:29:11 AM3/27/15
to mumbaitran...@googlegroups.com, ptt...@googlegroups.com
We were curious as to how the Monorail project in Mumbai is coming about. Asked for soft copy of the TEFR, but MMRDA replied saying they only have hard copies. So we asked for a copy of the Terms of Reference and it looks like they have only asked the consultant to submit hard copies. I am sure they have a soft copy, but 'technically' they don't, so I can't ask for it! :-(

I noticed two things.

1. MMRDA says it proposes to take up implementation of proven and established monorail system. However it is not clear how this conclusion was arrived at. It also specifies 4 corridors, but again how these were selected is not clear. M/s Rites is asked to prepare an Engineering and Feasibility Study, but it would seem that no matter what, Monorail would be feasible, since the terms of reference also require Rites to prepare bid documents.

In all these transport projects therefore, there is a crucial stage that is missing - what are the expected outcomes and what are the possible alternatives to achieve this and which would be the most cost-effective? There is a mysterious process by which the corridor and technology is chosen before any study is conducted!

2. They first say they want the consultants to prepare an Engineering and Feasibility Study, then they refer to it as a Techno-economic Feasibility Study, and finally again revert back to calling it the Engineering and Feasibility Study. I wonder if these two things mean the same?

-- Ranjit
RTI reply on Monorail - MMRDA.pdf