Hawkers on Canal Road

Abhijit Athavale

Jul 6, 2014, 6:06:52 AM7/6/14
to ptt...@googlegroups.com

PMC in its infinite wisdom seems to have decided to rehabilitate hawkers on the canal road cycle track from Law College road to Prabhat road. You can see 50 such markings - about 2'×3'. This cannot be good policy based on several reasons:

1. Traffic - what will happen to traffic in the evenings? It's already so bad. I can only imagine the jams.

2. Is it legal to use the cycle track for hawkers?

3. I cannot believe the PTP has given an ok to this plan. Perhaps no one asked them?

4. Has water resources department given an ok as well? After all it's their land.

It seems to be driven by elections. After all, it would be rather difficult to remove these people once they are well set.

Thoughts?

----- Sent from a mobil device. Please excuse the brevity.

Vijay Patil

Jul 10, 2014, 12:23:45 PM7/10/14
to pttfgen
This might be relevant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Vendors_Act,_2014

  • Town Vending Committee will be responsible for conducting of survey of all the vendors under its jurisdiction, and such survey must be conducted every five years. No street vendor will be evicted until such survey has been made and a certificate of vending has been issued.

I am interested in this because of my never ending fantasy with "proper markets". I disdain markets (hawkers) on streets, it create numerous traffic problems and misery. Why can't we learn from British rule, when they actually built markets (like Phule market in Pune, Crawford in Mumbai). Why not have more markets and no hawkers at all?

Vijay Patil

Ranjit Gadgil

Jul 11, 2014, 7:42:28 AM7/11/14
to PTTF General
Everyone is up in arms about this really harebrained scheme.

Here's the Mirror report on it. Even the Road dept. has not been consulted. PTP are not happy either!!

Hawker attack on cycle tracks

By Siddharth Gadkari, Pune Mirror | Jul 8, 2014

On the one hand, PMC is proposing to restore, extend paths reserved for bikes and pedestrians, while on the other, has marked 5,500 slots on wider ones for hawkers

It seems that the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) is juggling more balls than it can handle. On the one side, the Road department is supposed to be making a Comprehensive Bicycle Plan (CBP) for the next 20 years to improve cycling infrastructure in the city; while on the other, the Anti- Encroachment department wants to use the cycle tracks and footpaths — falling under Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JnNURM) projects — for rehabilitation of hawkers across the city.
Madhav Jagtap, Assistant Commissioner, Anti- Encroachment Department and incharge of rehabilitation of hawkers.

"We marked areas in front of Dnyaneshwar Paduka Mandir near Fergusson College Road. However, our man didn't know that that was a narrow cycle track. Now, we have cancelled it," he added. "Till date, we have registered 5,500 hawkers and decided to rehabilitate them before the Ganesh Festival by the end of August. All these spots are not a part of the 42 hawker free zones in the city.

Most space is part of a large footpath and the hawkers will not pose as an obstruction to pedestrians or cyclists," he elaborated. However, Yuvraj Deshmukh, Executive Engineer of PMC's Road department pointed out, "The Anti-Encroachment department hasn't consulted us about the rehabilitation of hawkers on cycle tracks and footpaths."

On the other hand, Srinivas Bonala, Additional City Engineer (Traffic planning) cleared himself of the issue by saying that he had no idea about the move. Vishwas Pandhare, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Traffic) told Mirror, "We made footpaths and cycle tracks for pedestrians and cyclists. We are not going to give permission to the corporation to rehabilitate hawkers there. The PMC has not approached us yet."

Ranjit Gadgil, Programme Director, Parisar, an NGO, said, "It is absolutely wrong and we are against it. If the corporation wants to rehabilitate hawkers, they should have take a slice off the motorised section. In the city, footpaths vary from a metre to two metres in width.

Before taking any decision, the corporation will have to fix space for pedestrians, cyclists, utilities, hawkers and some dead width within the space provided."

-- Ranjit

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 3:36 PM, Abhijit Athavale <abhijit....@gmail.com> wrote:

Jayant Joshi

Jul 11, 2014, 8:16:01 AM7/11/14
to PTTF General
PTP is NEVER consulted by PMC for ANYTHING. But PTP has to clean up all the traffic crap generated due to PMC's actions. And since PTP is the ONLY government agency visible to public, they get all the blame :-(