Lot of stitch problems witm drone panorama's

Frank Bosvelt

Oct 4, 2019, 11:28:32 AM10/4/19
to PTGui Support
Hi everyone.

I still struggle a lot with my panoramas.  huge stitch errors are present and controlpoints cant be the problem  it is extremely time consuming . My try to do my panos with the mavick 2 pro .strange in enough  i was better but now i cant made pano;s

9.JPG

10.JPG

problem 7.JPG

ptguiproblem 8.JPG

there is no wind when i make the panoramas . can someone tell me how  i solve this problem?

PTGui Support

Oct 4, 2019, 12:22:40 PM10/4/19
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frank,

Often these problems are caused by differences in elevation of the drone
while the panorama was taken.

Could you make a set of images and your project file available for download?

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

On 10/4/2019 17:28, Frank Bosvelt wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I still struggle a lot with my panoramas.  huge stitch errors are
> present and controlpoints cant be the problem  it is extremely time
> consuming . My try to do my panos with the mavick 2 pro .strange in
> enough  i was better but now i cant made pano;s
>
> 9.JPG
>
> 10.JPG
>
> problem 7.JPG
>
> ptguiproblem 8.JPG
>
> there is no wind when i make the panoramas . can someone tell me how  i
> solve this problem?
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/f5f1e016-3181-4612-9951-57f7ba611ee5%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/f5f1e016-3181-4612-9951-57f7ba611ee5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Frank Bosvelt

Oct 4, 2019, 12:28:06 PM10/4/19
to PTGui Support
Hoi Joost,

I have to find  a way to make the files here availble becouse they are huge . maybe a link from my dropbox ?

Op vrijdag 4 oktober 2019 18:22:40 UTC+2 schreef PTGui Support:
Hi Frank,

Often these problems are caused by differences in elevation of the drone
while the panorama was taken.

Could you make a set of images and your project file available for download?

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

On 10/4/2019 17:28, Frank Bosvelt wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I still struggle a lot with my panoramas.  huge stitch errors are
> present and controlpoints cant be the problem  it is extremely time
> consuming . My try to do my panos with the mavick 2 pro .strange in
> enough  i was better but now i cant made pano;s
>
> 9.JPG
>
> 10.JPG
>
> problem 7.JPG
>
> ptguiproblem 8.JPG
>
> there is no wind when i make the panoramas . can someone tell me how  i
> solve this problem?

Frank Bosvelt

Oct 4, 2019, 2:21:19 PM10/4/19
to PTGui Support
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OB78G9uhwVt1k4CPaml_AgP-VClL8hhz?usp=sharing

PTGui Support

Oct 4, 2019, 3:57:40 PM10/4/19
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frank,

The stitching errors indeed seem to result from a change in elevation
during the shoot. The giveaway is the fact that the horizon mismatch
happens mostly between the first and last image of the series (where the
altitude difference would be maximal).

I managed to get a nice result though, as follows:

- load all images
- run Align Images
- PTGui will complain about one image without control points (the one
facing down on the black water). Just ignore, it's already roughly
positioned.
- Switch to Advanced mode
- go to the Optimizer tab
- switch the Optimizer to Advanced mode
- Set the 'viewpoint' column to 'Optimize' for all images, except for
image 1. For image 1 Viewpoint should be set to Reset.
- Run the Optimizer. It reported good alignment
- Do Control Points - Generate Control Points. This will generate extra
control points fitting the (now) viewpoint optimized images
- Do Control Points - Remove Worst Control Points

I also leveled the horizon by placing 3 Horizontal Line control points
(see Video Tutorial #8). And I've masked out the bottom part of the
images above the horizon, so they will only be used for the sky part.

See my project file (attached). Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

On 04/10/2019 20:21, Frank Bosvelt wrote:
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OB78G9uhwVt1k4CPaml_AgP-VClL8hhz?usp=sharing
>
> Op vrijdag 4 oktober 2019 18:28:06 UTC+2 schreef Frank Bosvelt:
>
> Hoi Joost,
>
> I have to find  a way to make the files here availble becouse they
> are huge . maybe a link from my dropbox ?
>
> Op vrijdag 4 oktober 2019 18:22:40 UTC+2 schreef PTGui Support:
>
> Hi Frank,
>
> Often these problems are caused by differences in elevation of
> the drone
> while the panorama was taken.
>
> Could you make a set of images and your project file available
> for download?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Joost Nieuwenhuijse
> www.ptgui.com <http://www.ptgui.com>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/f5f1e016-3181-4612-9951-57f7ba611ee5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/f5f1e016-3181-4612-9951-57f7ba611ee5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/45aaed9b-f2f8-4d9f-85ab-3af0469cc296%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/45aaed9b-f2f8-4d9f-85ab-3af0469cc296%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
PANO0001 Panorama.pts

Frank Bosvelt

Oct 4, 2019, 5:15:31 PM10/4/19
to PTGui Support
wow you you are gold realy ))) im going to dive in it to see how you did it .  This one i dont understand      (I also leveled the horizon by placing 3 Horizontal Line control points
(see Video Tutorial #8). And I've masked out the bottom part of the
images above the horizon, so they will only be used for the sky part. )  so i have to look at the tutorial .  thanks again for your time and help  wow )

Frank Bosvelt

Oct 4, 2019, 5:17:30 PM10/4/19
to PTGui Support

Frank Bosvelt

Oct 4, 2019, 6:14:42 PM10/4/19
to PTGui Support
I have see the tutorial . the problem is he talks about verical lines not horizontal  he said horizontal lines is different and for a long time is prommesed a tutorial abut this. so i havent learned not verry much . so frutstrating and the guy goes so fast in the tutorials it is realo not verry clear what he is doing.

So please can je explane how it works? i put so much time in this and i cant go further. there are no good tutorials out there . also my english is not so good .

and you send me the panorama .pts file i have no idee what to do with it.

so as you read i know you fixed it but for me it is no help becouse i like to know how!

greetings Frank

John Houghton

Oct 5, 2019, 2:44:48 AM10/5/19
to PTGui Support

On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 11:14:42 PM UTC+1, Frank Bosvelt wrote:
I have see the tutorial . the problem is he talks about verical lines not horizontal  he said horizontal lines is different and for a long time is prommesed a tutorial abut this. so i havent learned not verry much . so frutstrating and the guy goes so fast in the tutorials it is realo not verry clear what he is doing.

So please can je explane how it works? i put so much time in this and i cant go further. there are no good tutorials out there . also my english is not so good .

This tutorial from 10 years ago should help: http://www.johnhpanos.com/horizons.htm . The screenshots may look somewhat different to the current version of PTGui, but you should be able to follow it.

and you send me the panorama .pts file i have no idea what to do with it.

The .pts project file was produced with File->Save Project.  You can recreate that state of the project by copying this project file into the folder that  holds your images and simply open it with PTGui  using File->Open Project.

John

Frank Bosvelt

Oct 5, 2019, 7:05:28 AM10/5/19
to PTGui Support
Hi John  thank you for your message i am going to look to this tutorial.  thank you also for the explanation how to work with the pts file . thank you a lot )) greetings from Frank

PTGui Support

Oct 5, 2019, 7:35:26 AM10/5/19
to pt...@googlegroups.com
You're not the first to struggle with horizon misalignments in drone
panoramas. So I've added this as a note to the support page, with some
extra information.

See 5.6:
https://www.ptgui.com/support.html#5_6

Kind regards,

Joost Nieuwenhuijse
www.ptgui.com

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/88cf7919-04dd-4ec0-8bb6-daa1dbc0e33e%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ptgui/88cf7919-04dd-4ec0-8bb6-daa1dbc0e33e%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Frank Bosvelt

Oct 5, 2019, 9:52:00 AM10/5/19
to PTGui Support
Hi Joost  thank you for your (and others) for the amazing and helpfull support. the more i learn about PTGUI  the more is think this program is amazing and fantastic .

Frank Bosvelt

Oct 9, 2019, 5:41:45 PM10/9/19
to PTGui Support
I still struggle . i wish i could understand this program more .  you said :I also leveled the horizon by placing 3 Horizontal Line control points
(see Video Tutorial #8). And I've masked out the bottom part of the
images above the horizon, so they will only be used for the sky part.

I saw indeed you masking the bottom part of some images . how you know wich images you need to mask out. also one image is vertical nr 18 whys is that. ? and how you did this.     do you need Always masking out ? stil a lot of questions but i cant go further with my drone panos . stil paralax errors but i didnt masking out .also in the tutorial there is no word on masking out also .

is there a way you can make e video tutorial on this incl the masking oiut proces en when you do this on what image?

Greetings from frank

PTGui Support

Oct 10, 2019, 4:01:53 AM10/10/19
to pt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frank,

On 09/10/2019 23:41, Frank Bosvelt wrote:
> I saw indeed you masking the bottom part of some images . how you know
> wich images you need to mask out.

I took all the sky images and masked out the horizon and below. Perhaps
this was not necessary (I did not check) but I figured since there will
be misalignments due to parallax, and the horizon is very critical, it's
best to have only one row of images contribute to the horizon area.

It can be done quickly: just draw the mask in one of the horizon images,
and use copy (Ctrl+C) and Paste (Ctrl+V) in the mask tab.

> also one image is vertical nr 18 whys
> is that. ? and how you did this.

I didn't rotate the image, but PTGui displays it rotated. Actually this
is a bug, PTGui attempts to rotate all thumbnails in the main window
such that they have the same orientation as the image in the panorama,
but it can get it wrong if viewpoint correction is used. Just ignore it,
or rotate the image manually by using the arrow buttons at the bottom of
the Mask tab.

>    do you need Always masking out ?

No, see above.

> stil a lot of questions but i cant go further with my drone panos . stil
> paralax errors but i didnt masking out .also in the tutorial there is no
> word on masking out also .

It may not be necessary to mask. But masking may help to resolve
misalignments.

Joost

Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 09.49.29.png

Howard Goldbaum

Oct 10, 2019, 10:07:35 AM10/10/19
to PTGui Support
Hello,

After making panoramas with two different drones (one that cannot shoot straight up, and one that can) I've concluded that it's usually best to autofill the apex in Photoshop. Also, I've found that once you have an aerial pano shot in relatively still air that stitches successfully, using that one as a template may be a very good way to begin.

I've created a website for the drone-enabled panoramas, all stitched with PTGui:

Howard

Frank Bosvelt

Oct 10, 2019, 1:54:36 PM10/10/19
to PTGui Support
Hi Joost,

Again thank you for your time and your help.

i understand more now.

Dji drones are also notorios for making images with no straight horizon and afcours that is also a problem for the stitcher i am goig to dive in again . thank you Joost

Frank Bosvelt

Oct 10, 2019, 1:57:26 PM10/10/19
to PTGui Support
Hi howard

what you mean with: autofill the apex in photoshop. and i have to learn how to work with templates  i have no idea )))

John Houghton

Oct 11, 2019, 5:21:36 AM10/11/19
to PTGui Support

On Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 6:57:26 PM UTC+1, Frank Bosvelt wrote:
Hi howard

. . . . .  and i have to learn how to work with templates  i have no idea )))

Frank, See the FAQ notes on templates at https://www.ptgui.com/support.html#3_9

John

Frank Bosvelt

Oct 11, 2019, 9:00:33 AM10/11/19