Some notes regarding Pro Tools 11 and El Capitan.

Kevin Reeves

Sep 26, 2015, 4:40:56 AM9/26/15
to Pro Tools Access
Hey folks.
I upgraded one of my machines to the El Capitan Beta.
As a rule, I never upgrade a mission critical machine to a beta or release that is not yet documented to work with Pro Tools, or other mission critical software.
However, it came to my attention that El Capitan was much snappier in regards to voiceover performance, and I desperately needed that kind of speed, as the latest version of Mavericks was laggy and throwing up busy signals left and right.
With all of that said, I upgraded knowing full well that Pro Tools could break, and I have a laptop capable of letting me get all of my work done, if that were to happen.
Well, allow me to warn you, El Capitan breaks pro tools in some weird ways that will put you at work stoppage.

1. Importing audio gives you this error.
Could not complete the Import Audio command because Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/151228/ProTools/NewFileLibs/Cfd/MacBuild/../MacOS/Cfd_ImportAudioDialogMacOS.mm", line 559.
2. You can not arm tracks with either the mouse, voiceover commands, or using the Shift R command while in the tracks list.
3. You can not instantiate any plugs what so ever. When you press enter, VO space, VO Shift space, or mouse click on any plug.
When you return to the mix window after performing any of these actions, the slot you tried to put the plug on remains empty.

I skimmed a thread on the DUC, and others were having the problem with importing audio, while others were reporting no problems at all. So, YMMV, but you have been severely warned.

None of the above findings are complaints, whines, etc. I knew full well that this could happen, and have a backup machine to start using immediately.
I just want to let you all know what the deal is.
I’m sure avid will release a compatibility update soon, and I imagine that this is potentially old news to the beta team. I just thought you all should know.

Kevin

John André Lium-Netland

Sep 26, 2015, 4:58:13 AM9/26/15
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that update, Kevin.

Slau Halatyn

Sep 26, 2015, 9:25:23 AM9/26/15
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
Out of curiosity, which version of Pro Tools are you using?

Slau

Slau Halatyn

Sep 26, 2015, 9:34:16 AM9/26/15
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I just re-read the subject line and you seem to be using version 11. I'm not surprised that there are issues. Most beta users are using version 12 and probably don't experience as many issues with OS betas. That said, there are still version 11 betas that come down the pike, although they're much fewer these days. I haven't seen one for a couple of months. I wonder whether version 11 will ever support El Capitan.

Slau

Kevin Reeves

Sep 26, 2015, 1:10:09 PM9/26/15
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
Hmm. Me wonders if that is their way of encouraging folks to upgrade by
cutting off support.
However, They've always been good about providing support for the latest
OS 1 Pro Tools version prier. However, with their new monthly plans,
wonder if that will change.

Kevin

Christopher-Mark Gilland

Sep 26, 2015, 1:16:50 PM9/26/15
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
Ewwww! Yikes! I'm not normally much for revealing information about a beta
release public or not, if the terms say to be hushed about things, but in
this particular case, I think you did us a major service by letting us know.
Thank you for the heads up.

You did however say PT 11. I wonder if V12.3 would do any better, seeing
that's what I use.

Chris.

Christopher-Mark Gilland

Sep 26, 2015, 1:17:38 PM9/26/15
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
I think he said 11, did he not, or do you means specifically what build?

Chris.

Sep 26, 2015, 1:26:38 PM9/26/15
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
Pro Tools has always had a history of supporting the most current OS
with at least 1 prier version. Even though they were at 11, they still
released a few incremental 10 versions that supported latest OS and had
a few other bug fixes.

This may not be the case with 12, as they are moving to a more
affordable upgrade path for users.

Kevin

Kevin Reeves

Sep 26, 2015, 1:27:19 PM9/26/15
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
The era of hush hush is over for apple.
It's a free public beta. people are tweeting features, bugs, etc all the
time, so I'm no longer concerned about their terms of service.
Same goes for the IOS 9 betas.
Apple can no longer have their cake and eat it too.

Kevin

J. R. Westmoreland

Sep 26, 2015, 1:53:42 PM9/26/15
to ptac...@googlegroups.com
More affordable upgrade path for users? I'm all over that one. Three cheers. LOL

J. R.

Christopher-Mark Gilland

Sep 26, 2015, 1:54:57 PM9/26/15
to ptac...@googlegroups.com