PsychoPy launcher for Atom.io

Thomas Emmerling

Jun 20, 2015, 12:07:10 PM6/20/15
to psychop...@googlegroups.com
Hi there!

I wrote a small package for the editor atom that allows to launch PsychoPy python files from within atom using the python environment of a standalone PsychoPy installation. It is my first atom package and for now only optimized for OSX, however, maybe it is of use for some people already:

Best,
Thomas

Stefan Appelhoff

Feb 19, 2016, 6:27:59 AM2/19/16
to psychopy-users
Hi Thomas,

thank you for your efforts. This was something I was looking for.

I have downloaded the package (atom-psychopy 0.1.1) and I am running it on OSX 10.11.3 with Atom 1.5.3 and the most recent psychopy standalone version 1.83.04.

Is there something I need to import into the script or something within the preferences I need to change? Because as soon as I try to run a psychopy script which is working well in the psychopy-standalone-coder-editor, I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/somepath/somefile.py", line 6, in <module>
    from psychopy import visual, event, core
ImportError: No module named psychopy
[Finished in 0.393s]

Other python code that does not rely on the psychopy library gets executed normally without any error (based on the script package v3.5.2)

Help would be appreciated!

Best,
Stefan

Thomas Emmerling

Feb 22, 2016, 6:37:22 AM2/22/16
to psychopy-users
Dear Stefan,

it great to hear that somebody uses my package! :)
In fact, when I wrote it Atom was still pre-1.0. Also, it could be that somewhere I included a particularity of my own system that makes it difficult to run on other systems. I did not have time to test and document it thoroughly. However, now that I now that somebody wants to use it, I will have a look at it again.
Right now, I am pretty busy finishing my PhD, however, I will have time for it in April/May and will definitely have a look then. Maybe even earlier. I am sorry to not be able to help out right away!

Best,
Thomas

Kathryn Schuler

Jun 15, 2016, 4:13:37 PM6/15/16
to psychopy-users
Hello,

I also use this package all the time!  I have the same setup as you Stefan, and the psychopy atom package works for me.  Did you run the script through the package? I made a silent video for my research assistants (who also use this package to run experiments).  Posting it in case it would help you (or other who might like to use this package).

And thanks to Thomas for the package!  I actually tend to use this now in favor of my anaconda build of python because it is so easy to run from the atom editor.  Nice work!

Katie

Jonathan Peirce

Jun 16, 2016, 9:12:50 AM6/16/16
to psychop...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. I use atom sometimes (but not generally for python code) and didn't know there was a psychopy package for it! :-)

Does the timing work OK? I'm always scared of running experiments using IDEs like Spyder because they do a lot of work in the background (analysing the code and tracking debugging point etc) so although the PsychoPy editor is basic I'm reasonably confident it isn't messing taking up processor time during stimulus presentation.

But I don't think Atom does a lot of aggressive bacground work so I guess it's safe here.
Has anyone done any testing of timing (e.g. how many dots before dropping frames) using this or other editors?

thanks (especially Thomas for the package and Katie for video(s))
Jon

Jonathan Peirce
University of Nottingham

http://www.peirce.org.uk