[Psi-Devel] Psi unable to connect to Google Talk

dev

Nov 15, 2007, 12:04:44 AM11/15/07
to Psi Development
Hey,

I am trying to connect with psi to talk3.l.google.com on port 443. In
gaim , I can achieve this by just clicking on advance settings (Use
TLS, Force TLS, Force Old SSL). But when I do this in Psi, I get TLS
handshake error. Does anybody connect to google talk server in psi on
port 443, legacy ssl? Is this a Delta issue?

Also, i am from behind a HTTP Proxy so maybe that could also be
causing a problem

Regards,
dev

Michał Jazłowiecki

Nov 15, 2007, 12:32:38 AM11/15/07
to psi-devel-...@lists.affinix.com
dev wrote:

> I am trying to connect with psi to talk3.l.google.com on port 443. In
> gaim , I can achieve this by just clicking on advance settings (Use
> TLS, Force TLS, Force Old SSL). But when I do this in Psi, I get TLS
> handshake error. Does anybody connect to google talk server in psi on
> port 443, legacy ssl? Is this a Delta issue?
>
> Also, i am from behind a HTTP Proxy so maybe that could also be
> causing a problem

I can connect to Google Talk on port 443 (even from behind HTTP Proxy)
with final Psi-0.11:

[ ] Compress transmission (if possible)
[x] Send "keep-alive" packets (for NAT timeouts)
[x] Manually set server and port:
Server: [talk.google.com] Port: [443]
Encrypt connection: [Use legacy SSL]
[x] Ignore SSL/TLS warnings
[ ] Try to use legacy SSL port {disabled}
Allow plain text authentication: [Always]

Regards,

--
Michał Jazłowiecki (michalj)
Psi Forum & Wiki Moderator

Justin Karneges

Nov 15, 2007, 12:36:30 AM11/15/07
to Psi Development
On Wednesday 14 November 2007 9:04 pm, dev wrote:
> I am trying to connect with psi to talk3.l.google.com on port 443. In
> gaim , I can achieve this by just clicking on advance settings (Use
> TLS, Force TLS, Force Old SSL). But when I do this in Psi, I get TLS
> handshake error. Does anybody connect to google talk server in psi on
> port 443, legacy ssl? Is this a Delta issue?
>
> Also, i am from behind a HTTP Proxy so maybe that could also be
> causing a problem

Works fine for me here in Psi. Do you set up your HTTP Proxy in both Gaim and
Psi?

-Justin

dev.a...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2007, 7:14:24 AM11/15/07
to Psi Development
I am using exact same settings. I have setup same proxy on both Gaim
and Psi .... .

I am getting this error :

There was an error communicating with the server.
Details: TLS handshake error

I am sure I have setup the proxy correctly . Anyways, If I hadn't set
up the proxy I would have gotten unabla to connect ... TLS handshake
error is something else.

thing is, my dns is borked so I have put the actual IP in the server
field. This isn't causing problems in Gaim but maybe thats the problem
with psi ... maybe someone could try by putting 216.239.51.125 in the
server field and see if psi connects.

Regard
dev

Hal Rottenberg

Nov 15, 2007, 9:54:49 AM11/15/07
to Psi Development
On Nov 15, 2007 12:32 AM, Michał Jazłowiecki <mic...@poczta.neostrada.pl>

> I can connect to Google Talk on port 443 (even from behind HTTP Proxy)
> with final Psi-0.11:
>
> [ ] Compress transmission (if possible)
> [x] Send "keep-alive" packets (for NAT timeouts)
> [x] Manually set server and port:
> Server: [talk.google.com] Port: [443]
> Encrypt connection: [Use legacy SSL]
> [x] Ignore SSL/TLS warnings
> [ ] Try to use legacy SSL port {disabled}
> Allow plain text authentication: [Always]

Weird, I have to use 5222.

--
Blog: http://halr9000.com
Webmaster, Psi (http://psi-im.org)

Hal Rottenberg

Nov 15, 2007, 9:57:40 AM11/15/07
to Psi Development
On Nov 15, 2007 7:14 AM, <dev.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> thing is, my dns is borked so I have put the actual IP in the server
> field. This isn't causing problems in Gaim but maybe thats the problem
> with psi ... maybe someone could try by putting 216.239.51.125 in the
> server field and see if psi connects.

Anything you can do to remove DNS from the equation? Try using a
hosts entry then, and use the DNS name talk.google.com in Psi.

--
Blog: http://halr9000.com
Webmaster, Psi (http://psi-im.org)
Co-host, PowerScripting Podcast (http://powerscripting.net)

Norman Rasmussen

Nov 15, 2007, 10:12:24 AM11/15/07
to Psi Development
On Nov 15, 2007 2:14 PM, <dev.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
There was an error communicating with the server.
Details: TLS handshake error

Generally I've seen this if the proxy says is connects, and then fails.  i.e. the client sent the start-SSL request, and instead of getting the start-SSL response, it saw something else. (often an error message saying can't connect, or something like that).

It might well be worth using something like Wireshark (previously know as ethereal) to see what exactly the error message is.

--
- Norman Rasmussen
- Email: nor...@rasmussen.co.za

dev.a...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2007, 11:45:04 AM11/15/07
to Psi Development
Norman, yeah .. it is a pretty shitty proxy .. probably got a 503
error ... but isn't this a bug , i mean ,gaim is able to connect so
should psi?

Justin Karneges

Nov 15, 2007, 12:43:51 PM11/15/07
to Psi Development
On Thursday 15 November 2007 8:45 am, dev.a...@gmail.com wrote:
> Norman, yeah .. it is a pretty shitty proxy .. probably got a 503
> error ... but isn't this a bug , i mean ,gaim is able to connect so
> should psi?

Maybe there's a bug in Psi's HTTP proxy support. Gaim sends one thing and
succeeds, Psi sends something else and gets rejected.

According to the Psi source, a non-200 response code should throw an error
before TLS begins, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Probably a Psi bug, but without more information I don't know how to solve it.
Packet sniff the connection if you can, so we can see what the proxy is
saying.

-Justin

dev.a...@gmail.com

Nov 15, 2007, 2:29:48 PM11/15/07
to Psi Development
bash-3.1$ wget talk3.l.google.com:443
--00:57:47-- http://talk3.l.google.com:443/
=> `index.html'
Connecting to 172.30.3.3:8080... connected.
Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 503 Internal Server Error
00:57:47 ERROR 503: Internal Server Error.

Will this do or do I need to send the actual ethereal output ? I have
never used ethereal / wireshark and was hoping to avoid that.

/dev

Justin Karneges

Nov 15, 2007, 3:29:32 PM11/15/07
to Psi Development
On Thursday 15 November 2007 11:29 am, dev.a...@gmail.com wrote:
> bash-3.1$ wget talk3.l.google.com:443
> --00:57:47-- http://talk3.l.google.com:443/
> => `index.html'
> Connecting to 172.30.3.3:8080... connected.
> Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 503 Internal Server Error
> 00:57:47 ERROR 503: Internal Server Error.
>

> Will this do or do I need to send the actual ethereal output ? I have
> never used ethereal / wireshark and was hoping to avoid that.

Is wget using a proxy?

-Justin

Hal Rottenberg

Nov 15, 2007, 3:52:09 PM11/15/07
to Psi Development
On Nov 15, 2007 2:29 PM, <dev.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will this do or do I need to send the actual ethereal output ? I have
> never used ethereal / wireshark and was hoping to avoid that.

No time like the present! It's a very cool tool and not a bad skill
to have in your pocket. Install it, go to Start Capture and then
recreate your scenario. Since you haven't applied any filters (which
involves learning a little), you'll get back tons more than you want,
but you can search through the results for IP addresses and so on.
It's really cool filtering by protocol.

http://home.insight.rr.com/procana/#Protocol