PS1 PnP blog post comment reply - are my descriptions correct?

Drew Fustini

Aug 30, 2013, 1:42:59 PM8/30/13
to ps1...@googlegroups.com, Ed Bennett, Ed Bennett, Dan Dumitrescu, Jay Hopkins, Jason Crittenden, Ste Kulov, Michael Norman, Shawn Blaszak
oops should have changed subject

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Drew Fustini <pdp7...@gmail.com> wrote:
hello folks that have been involved or chatted about the PnP project...

the comment was posted:
"Greetings,

Great job so far. What are you going to use for the grabber / picker? Also, how do you propose to feed the parts?

It looks like this platform has many possibilities. Change the pin for a laser?

Great job. Cant wait to see the finished product in action.

Regards,

Steve"

and this was my response:

Hi - thanks, that's an interesting idea to change the pen to a laser pointer until our real head is mounted.

I'm going to make another post shortly that covers more of the mechanicals.  Ed's head has the Z-axis and also rotation (theta).  A tube can be connected at the top going to a vacuum pump. The valve will be controlled by a solenoid that can be switched on and off from a transistor connected to the TinyG (certain G-Code will then actuate it when needed).  If that doesn't work, then we can interface to transistor to an output pin on the BBB.  When necessary, the Python program and toggle the BBB pin in between writing G-Code commands to the serial port (which goes to the TinyG).

For the feeder, we have a piece a delrin (which is like a hard plastic) which another member had machined with 8mm slots in it (I think there are 10).  Cut tape with surface mount components will fit in the slots.  The slots are about 6" long and an acrylic covering would go over the top to hold the tapes in the slots.  One side of the slots wouldn't be covered so the PnP head pick the components out of the containers in the tape.

Hopefully some photos and video in my posts will make it clearer.

Did I describe those design goals correctly?

Thanks,

drew

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Drew Fustini <pdp7...@gmail.com> wrote:
The vote for the BeagleBone Black Hackerspace challenge has begun:

Also, voters can win a BBB: "Once you've voted, COMMENT on the builds below for a chance to win a BeagleBone Black of your own. We'll pick one member at random from those who have commented after the draw closes as the winner"

TGIF,
Drew