BeagleBone PnP: Qt app update, PS1 Monday night (tonight)?

Drew Fustini

Jul 8, 2013, 9:25:34 PM7/8/13
to Dan Dumitrescu, Ed Bennett, Jason Crittenden, Michael Norman, Shawn Blaszak, Ste Kulov, ps1...@googlegroups.com, Jay Hopkins
Hi - Bonnie and me worked on getting Ed's mouse motion to gcode Python Qt (PyQt) program working on the BBB.  It turned out to be an issue that the program seems to use Qt3 classes.  It worked on Bonnie's Fedora laptop with Qt3 installed.  However, neither Angstrom, Debian 7 (www.armhf.com) or Ubuntu 13 (www.armhf.com) had Qt3 available in their repos.

So we ended up rewriting the program for Qt4 based on various PyQt for Qt4 examples (using Debian 7 as it was last distro we tried when still search for Qt3):

The code is messy right now, but it will write Gcode to the serial port (via PySerial) per mouse movement.  At first I thought there was a problem, as it was really slow, but I realized after awhile it was because I running it remotely via X.  I put my LCD touchscreen cape on the BBB and installed LXDE desktop env into Debian on the BBB.  It then drew at a normal speed no problem - d'oh ;)  You can also draw using your finger on the touchscreen.  The photo attached looks crude as I was drawing points with a large pen at that point before going to drawing lines with a finer pen.

I'm still at the office, so I wanted to check if anyone was there or planning to be there.  Unfortunately, I don't have the extra pre-production BeagleBone Black with me that I said I could let Dan D use.  I could bring it tomorrow though.

Next step for the PyQt app is to hook the TinyG up to the BeagleBone's USB host port and see if the gcode PyQt is sending works ok.

thanks,
drew

Thanks,
Drew

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Dan Dumitrescu <dumi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have already built a small board with 2 Darlington transistors for driving the solenoids which can be controlled from either the TinyG (original intent) or from the BBB if that's desired, and that board is already in the black box with the TinyG.  I'd like to test-drive the BBB, I think I'll buy one on Monday if the contest one is not available.
Drew, let's sync on when we can meet at the space.

Cheers,
Dan

From: Fustini, Andrew <afus...@premierfarnell.com>
Date: Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Subject: FW: Hackspace Challenge - Extension
To: pdp7...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2013, 3:44:33 PM7/9/13
to Dan Dumitrescu, Ed Bennett, Jason Crittenden, Michael Norman, Shawn Blaszak, Ste Kulov, ps1...@googlegroups.com, Jay Hopkins
I used have now used Robert C Nelson's Ubuntu 13.04 eMMC flasher to
update my BeagleBone Black. It includes fix for the LCD cape buttons
which the armhf.com Debian 7 & Ubuntu 13 SD card images from June 6th
did not. I'm waiting for LXDE to install and then I'll install the
packages needed for the Qt Python app to control (currently works in
Debian 7.0 but the LCD capes buttons do not).

After that, it would be ready to test with the TinyG via the the USB host port.

I have flashed the latest Angstrom onto the pre-production BeagleBone
Black. I'm planning to give it to Dave D if the BBB for the challenge
isn't at the space.
1000091_10201635203670309_937725160_n (1).jpg