BBB challenge: PnP Todo's

Drew Fustini

Jul 4, 2013, 3:13:08 PM7/4/13
to Dan Dumitrescu, Ed Bennett, Jason Crittenden, Michael Norman, Shawn Blaszak, Ste Kulov, ps1...@googlegroups.com, Jay Hopkins, Ed Bennett
[Please reply to me directly if you don't want me to include you in group emails about this project]

Deadline: July 19th, Friday

- element14 Blog Posts: I'm going to make one today, and a few more until end of challenge. then on July 19th I'll make the final post. [http://www.element14.com/community/community/knode/single-board_computers/next-gen_beaglebone/blog/2013/06/30/hackerspace-challenge--leeds-week-3?z=yqxe8j]

- Qt Python Mouse-tracking Gcode demo: my goal right now is to get Qt python running on the Bone so that it will output Gcode per mouse movement to the USB serial port [to which tiny g will be connected via USB].

- BBB GPIO to interface non-TinyG electronics (like selenoids or switches? is this needed? maybe Ed knows?)

- Reference PCB for demo: I started a EAGLE board layout attached to previous email.  If someone better at EAGLE wants to try this then please let me know.  The goal is send a board to OSH Park asap.  I probably won't be able to work with EAGLE until Sunday night.

- OpenCV integration: Michael sent me some OpenCV demo code. Norm sent some image of components. If any has interest or knowledge in OpenCV, then it would be interesting to try.  Let me know if you want me to forward what I have.

- PRU: I think we won't be doing anything with PRU until after the contest and leverage the TinyG for now.

Resources:
- Drew: e14 Blog post -> Qt Python mouse code demo -> Finish EAGLE PCB -> Try OpenCV demo code
(I'm posting a blog post now, then going to my parents & girlfriend in Batavia, should get Python Qt demo on BBB completed with her help; will work on EAGLE Sunday PM; can met at PS1 starting Monday & onwards)
- Ed: nozzle development and machining [will be away for a period of time during remainder of contest]
- Others? Please add what you'd like to do.

Hardware:
- There should be the BBB for this project from e14 at the space (or Jay still has it?)
- 7 Polulu DRV8825 stepper motor drivers
[located under PnP gantry in FedEx box; I don't think we need these anymore since using TinyG; maybe I should return to Polulu?]
- 4 smaller stepper motors for nozzle development from Polulu
[I left for Ed in FedEx box mentioned above]

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Drew Fustini <pdp7...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sure, thanks.

My goal right now is to get Qt python running on the Bone so that it will output Gcode per mouse movement to the USB serial port [to which tiny g will be connected].

Did you ask Ed if there is electronics that will need to be controlled beyond?  Like nozzle selnoids or limit switches?  I'm not sure if TinyG handles all of that directly or if it will require some handling via the BeagleBone's GPIO to trigger mosfet or relays and read digital inputs from switches.

Another task I have meant to finish: I had started a layout in EAGLE layout to have a simple board with 0603 LEDs and resistors and DC barrell jack.  It would spell PS1 like:

I was then going to send it off to OSH Park to get made.  Prob still time for that given the 19th.  Regardless it would be good to have a completed EAGLE board layout file which can be run through the EAGLE to Centroid ULP (https://github.com/boardforge/boardforge/blob/master/eaglecentroidgenerator.ulp).

I still need to figure out how to translate that from Centroid file to Gcode (open to ideas).

Thanks,
Drew