Fwd: FW: Beaglebone Hackspace Challenge

Drew Fustini

Jun 12, 2013, 2:05:15 PM6/12/13
to Ed Bennett, Jay Hopkins, Shawn Blaszak, Ste Kulov, ps1...@googlegroups.com
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Fustini, Andrew" <afus...@premierfarnell.com>
Date: Jun 12, 2013 8:18 AM
Subject: FW: Beaglebone Hackspace Challenge
To: <pdp7...@gmail.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: Jones, Stuart
Sent: Wed 6/12/2013 4:51 AM
To: Fustini, Andrew; Taggart, Angus
Subject: Beaglebone Hackspace Challenge

Hi guys.

Just letting you know that the marketing of this begins today at 3pm. The blog is already live if you want to take a look.

http://www.element14.com/community/community/knode/single-board_computers/next-gen_beaglebone/blog/2013/06/12/beaglebone-black--the-2013-hackerspace-challenge?CMP=SOM-BEAGLEBONE-BLACK-HACKSPACECHALLENGE-ANNOUNCE

Stuart Jones

Global Social Media Manager

Premier Farnell plc -

element14 | Farnell | Newark -  www.element14.com <http://www.premierfarnell.com/>

+44 (0) 780 314 8895 (Best number)

+44 (0) 113 348 4093

Tweet @StuartSJones <http://www.twitter.com/stuartsjones>

element14 on Social Media

Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/element14page>  | Twitter <https://twitter.com/element14>  | Google+ <https://plus.google.com/u/0/115208019060650803506/posts>  | Linked In <http://www.linkedin.com/company/8408?trk=tyah>  | Instagram <http://instagram.com/element_14>  | Pinterest <http://pinterest.com/element14/>

            ********************************Disclaimer***********************************

The preceding e-mail message (including any attachments) contains

information that may be confidential, be protected by the attorney-client

or other applicable privileges, or constitute non-public information. It

is intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s). If you are

not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender by

replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Use,

dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message by unintended

recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.

Drew Fustini

Jun 12, 2013, 6:04:18 PM6/12/13
to Ed Bennett, Jay Hopkins, Shawn Blaszak, Ste Kulov, ps1...@googlegroups.com
Hi - I'm getting your emails.  Unfortunately, I can't meet tonight anymore.  Maybe Friday?

thanks,
drew

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Ed Bennett <e...@kineticsandelectronics.com> wrote:
We should meet tonight, but finding a space will be hard. I think both the rooms are booked. We can try the lounge. If not that, a corner of the shop will have to do. The machine is attached to a heavy base and is not really portable.

If anyone is getting my emails please let me know.

HH
-e

Jun 15, 2013, 11:18:45 AM6/15/13
to Ed Bennett, Jay Hopkins, Shawn Blaszak, Ste Kulov, ps1...@googlegroups.com
I happened to go to the space last night as I meet someone visiting North Carolina at ChiPy on Thursday who needed help learning how to flash an AVR.  I spoke to Shawn briefly.  I saw what looked to be the PnP build in the corner of the electronics workshop.  Is that it?

I'm heading out to parents in burbs this weekend with family in town... I'll be at NERP on Monday so maybe we can assess where we're at in person then?

thanks,
drew

Drew Fustini

Jun 17, 2013, 3:38:53 PM6/17/13
to Ed Bennett, Michael Norman, Shawn Blaszak, Ste Kulov, ps1...@googlegroups.com
We had looked at Hipseter Circuit's PRU code for accelartion before.  This is the site for the guy that makes the Replicape.  He also wrote the python library to allow one to load the PRU bin file and access the shared buffer from Python.

I can try downloading, installing and running his example, and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Drew

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Ed Bennett <e...@kineticsandelectronics.com> wrote:
On 06/15/2013 10:18 AM, Drew Fustini wrote:
I happened to go to the space last night as I meet someone visiting North
Carolina at ChiPy on Thursday who needed help learning how to flash an AVR.
  I spoke to Shawn briefly.  I saw what looked to be the PnP build in the
corner of the electronics workshop.  Is that it?

Yes, that's it. And it hauls ass. It was not an easy thing to achieve.
Regardless of what Jeff had "demonstrated", no one had been able to control the thing until I did on Friday night.

I've been busy. Did you know about this?

http://hipstercircuits.com/accelerated-stepper-motors-on-beaglebone/

Can you make this code run?

NORM---

Long time! Do you guys still have the OpenCV code for locating the position and orientation of SMC's on the PCB? We could probably use it soon, if you're willing to part with it. Was that code in Python?

You have time to pay us a visit? We'd like that very much!

Happy Happy
-Ed

Stuart Jones

Global Social Media Manager

Premier Farnell plc -

element14 | Farnell | Newark -  www.element14.com <
The preceding e-mail message (including any attachments) contains

information that may be confidential, be protected by the attorney-client

or other applicable privileges, or constitute non-public information. It

is intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s). If you
are

not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender by

replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Use,

dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message by
unintended

recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.

*****************

Drew Fustini

Jun 18, 2013, 1:27:57 PM6/18/13
to Ed Bennett, Michael Norman, Shawn Blaszak, Ste Kulov, ps1...@googlegroups.com
After chatting post-NERP last night, I'll work on getting the Replicape code to run on the BBB and potentially meetup with Ed on Wednesday night.  Also, if the OpenCV examples are available, then I can try to compile and run those on the BBB as well.  I have 2 different web cams to try.

Finally, here is what the other team is doing:

thanks,
drew

Drew Fustini

Jun 19, 2013, 2:57:46 PM6/19/13
to Michael Norman, Jason Crittenden, ps1...@googlegroups.com, Ed Bennett, Ste Kulov, Shawn Blaszak
Ed B., etc. - Re: tonight (Wednesday), unfortunately, I can not make.  I will come by tomorrow night (Thursday / CNC) but may not be there until 9pm.

PRU status: I got a basic PRU demo running from here:

I can edit the assembly code, assemble and upload it ok.  My next step is to install the Replicape software, both Python library and the PRU assembly:

Parts needed? This is the latest BOM:

I believe this is the stepper driver used:

Should we request it from Newark element14?  Other parts too?

thanks,
drew

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Michael Norman <michael....@gmail.com> wrote:

Here are the sample images we were using during testing.  Jason said he is cleaning up the openCV before sending it to you.

We have images with a light ring and direct light to the object.  We also tried with the light source direct to object with camera thru a light ring.

I will try to be there Wen if not deff I will be there for CNC.

Michael J Norman
Chicago, IL
803.603.8101

Drew Fustini

Jun 20, 2013, 5:12:38 PM6/20/13
to Michael Norman, Jason Crittenden, ps1...@googlegroups.com, Ed Bennett, Ste Kulov, Shawn Blaszak
I installed the Replicape software on the BBB last night:

It was based on these instructions:

I did have to comment out the make target that tried to talk to the capes eeprom (since I don't have the cape), but otherwise I didn't encounter any errors yet.  I still need to determine how I can test the functionality (what python script to run, can it load the program into the PRU, can it communicate, etc).

Drew Fustini

Jun 21, 2013, 1:07:07 PM6/21/13
to ps1...@googlegroups.com

Jun 21, 2013, 1:21:47 PM6/21/13
to Ed Bennett, Dan Dumitrescu, Jason Crittenden, Michael Norman, Shawn Blaszak, ps1...@googlegroups.com
I saw the DRV8825 High Current Stepper Motor Driver Carrier board was on Amazon and available for Prime shipping which I have so I ordered one ($15) in case it is useful for testing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B9G8CAE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will have it on Monday.  There's additional driver boards available via Prime shipping on Amazon in case we need more it won't be hard to get.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Drew Fustini <pdp7...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

*
*
*
*

[...]

****
*****************

Drew Fustini

Jun 21, 2013, 4:24:57 PM6/21/13
to Ed Bennett, Jason Crittenden, Michael Norman, Shawn Blaszak, ps1...@googlegroups.com, Jay Hopkins
Thanks for sending the images.  Are you able to share the OpenCV code that processes them?

thanks,
drew

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Ed Bennett <e...@kineticsandelectronics.com> wrote:
Thanks!

HH
-e

On 06/21/2013 02:53 PM, Michael Norman wrote:
Last File.  File 4 is still to large and will just give you in person on
the weekend.

Thank you,

Michael J. Norman

Chicago, IL 60622
803.603.8101

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Ed Bennett
<e...@kineticsandelectronics.com>wrote:

Thanks Norm. Jason- I know you didn't do a whole lot more than some basic
tests, but any code would be helpful, if you have time to root it up.

Thanks,

Ed

On 06/15/2013 05:14 PM, Michael Norman wrote:

Jason was working on the code and then he got a job.

I know we have sample images and basic code but do not know how much in
depth it has gotten.

I added him onto this email.

Thank you,

Michael J. Norman

Chicago, IL 60622
803.603.8101

beaglebone/<http://hipstercircuits.com/accelerated-stepper-motors-on-beaglebone/>

Tweet @StuartSJones <http://www.twitter.com/******stuartsjones<http://www.twitter.com/****stuartsjones>
<http://www.**twitter.com/**stuartsjones<http://www.twitter.com/**stuartsjones>

<http://www.**twitter.com/**stuartsjones<http://twitter.com/stuartsjones> Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/******element14page<http://www.facebook.com/****element14page>
<http://www.**facebook.com/**element14page<http://www.facebook.com/**element14page>

<http://www.**facebook.com/**element14page<http://facebook.com/element14page>https://plus.google.com/u/0/******115208019060650803506/posts<https://plus.google.com/u/0/****115208019060650803506/posts>

<ht**tps://plus.google.com/u/**0/**115208019060650803506/**posts<http://plus.google.com/u/0/**115208019060650803506/posts>

http://www.linkedin.com/******company/8408?trk=tyah<http://www.linkedin.com/****company/8408?trk=tyah>

http://instagram.com/element_******14<http://instagram.com/element_****14>
<http://instagram.com/**element_**14<http://instagram.com/element_**14>
**************************************Disclaimer****************

********

*****************

The preceding e-mail message (including any attachments) contains

information that may be confidential, be protected by the
attorney-client

or other applicable privileges, or constitute non-public information.
It

is intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s). If
you
are

not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender
by

replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Use,

dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message by
unintended

recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.

********
*****************

Drew Fustini

Jun 21, 2013, 4:27:36 PM6/21/13
to Ed Bennett, Jason Crittenden, Michael Norman, Shawn Blaszak, ps1...@googlegroups.com, Jay Hopkins
Sorry - disregard about the code... I hadn't seen Jason had already sent it to me.

Drew Fustini

Jun 26, 2013, 2:28:49 PM6/26/13
to Ed Bennett, Dan Dumitrescu, Shawn Blaszak, Jason Crittenden, Michael Norman, ps1...@googlegroups.com
Hi - sorry I've not been in touch for a bit.  I wanted to ping Ed and everyone else who is interested or involved.   Would anyone be around the space tonight?

I have this DRV8825 stepper module that I can bring by the space:

It is what is used by the Replicape design and what the PRU sends step and direction pulses to.  I've been trying to figure out how to decouple that individual part of the Replicape software from the rest (it complains about the cape not being present since i don't actually have one).  I'll message the Replicape designer to see if he has suggestions.

As for the contest deadline, I'm getting clarification as to whether July 5th or July 12th.  It would be much better if July 12th.

As for blogging, I've not written anything yet but feel like I should probably write an update: http://www.element14.com/community/community/knode/single-board_computers/next-gen_beaglebone/blog

Any objections if I describe about how we looked at LinuxCNC first and then turned to Replicape with interest in its PRU code to control the motors on Pick and Place gantry that was designed at the space?  I have photos and quick video of the gantry from the last NERP.

thanks,
drew

Drew Fustini

Jun 27, 2013, 5:37:19 PM6/27/13
to Ed Bennett, Dan Dumitrescu, Shawn Blaszak, Jason Crittenden, Michael Norman, ps1...@googlegroups.com, Jay Hopkins
FYI - I confirmed the is deadline July 12th, not July 5th.

Ed - Thanks, a couple pics would be helpful to make an interesting blog post.   Show an update at NERP?  I'm not sure I'll have much to show on the software or breadboarding aspects yet.  I'm leaving tonight and will be back on Monday afternoon (for Maker Faire KC).  I will be at PS1 for NERP on Monday though.

BeagleBone + PnP breadboarding:
I dropped off the Polulu DRV8825 module (http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2133) at the space yesterday, and there is  a BeagleBone Black given to PS1 for the contest  (I'm not sure if Jay still has it).  If anyone has time and interest this weekend, then those could be wired up per the Replicape schematic:

I just noticed that the Replicape has a sn74ahc595 sitting in front of each motor driver.   This is an 8bit shift register.  I wonder if this is something that we have at the space.  That specific model is surface mount for the replicape but I would think we could use a similar DIP shift register for prototyping on breadboard with the BeagleBone Black & DRV8825 modules.

Software:
I've installed the Replicape software on the BeagleBone Black.  However, it won't run outright as there is not actually a Replicape attached.  I've removed parts of the Python code that tries to do things that don't exist.  It does start but ends with an error trying to load the PRU program (https://gist.github.com/pdp7/5878601).  I've sent a message to the creator, Elias Bakken, to see what advise he has.  I still need to read his Python code more in depth.

I'm heading off at 5:30pm today and won't be back til Monday afternoon.  Please text or call me with any questions: 773-710-7131  I can still see gmail from my phone but it's not as easy to notice as text or call.

Thanks,
Drew

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Ed Bennett <e...@kineticsandelectronics.com> wrote:
Drew-

In regard to the brief conversation we had at the space last night, post what you want. The work I'm doing in the near term is entirely mechanical. If you or anyone else wants to help wire the BBB to the Polulu modules (an electronics-lab-worktable type thing), that would be super wonderful.

I'll send you a couple of progress pix tonight. It will be really late since my best hours seem to be between 1 and 5am after most people have left PS:1 for the night. I really wish it was easier to work without distraction at the space, but say "La Brie!".

Can we show an update of some kind at nerp on Monday? Remember, just as the progress pix demonstrate, works in progress are a fine thing to show and discuss.

HH
-e