RuntimeException while parsing back the byte[] to protocol buffer message instance! (deserialization)

Aditya Narayan

Mar 4, 2011, 11:11:18 AM3/4/11
to prot...@googlegroups.com
I tried following code for encoding and decoding.

Decoding from byte[] fails, however.

Code:-

    public static void test(){

        Comment comment = Comment.newBuilder()
                .setCommentBody("This is 1st comment")
                .build();
        byte[] bytes = comment.toByteArray();

        try {
            Comment c = Comment.parseFrom(bytes);
        }
        catch (InvalidProtocolBufferException ex) {
            Logger.getLogger(testing.class.getName()).log(Level.SEVERE, null, ex);
        }

Exception details:-

        Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: Uncompilable source code
        at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessage$Builder.mergeFrom(AbstractMessage.java)
        at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessageLite$Builder.mergeFrom(AbstractMessageLite.java:153)
        at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessage$Builder.mergeFrom(AbstractMessage.java:709)
        at paratha.serializers.protocolbuffers.CommentProto$Comment.parseFrom(CommentProto.java:186)

Aditya Narayan

Mar 4, 2011, 11:34:56 AM3/4/11
to prot...@googlegroups.com

Evan Jones

Mar 4, 2011, 11:39:27 AM3/4/11
to prot...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 4, 2011, at 11:11 , Aditya Narayan wrote:
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException:
> Uncompilable source code

This error means there is a build problem in your Eclipse project. You
are trying to call some code that is not building compiled correctly.
Fix your build errors and then your example should work. Good luck,

Evan

--
http://evanjones.ca/

Aditya Narayan

Mar 4, 2011, 12:18:39 PM3/4/11
to prot...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Evan

Seems like I am missing some files. I have just created a .proto file and compiled it with protoc to get generated java files. I got  .java file compiled and put it with the java's source folder from protobuf 2.4.a in my project folder.

But some of the class dependency of the files in this folder seem to be unresolved. I think I would instead need a jar that I could add to classpath of my project.