2.4 release?

Zachary Turner

Sep 14, 2010, 1:36:40 PM9/14/10
to Protocol Buffers
Reading through old threads, I found one that said that the next
release would probably include Petar's python wrapper for native C++
protobufs, greatly increasing speed of protubufs when calling from
Python.

Another post mentioned that this was expected to be done sometime this
summer.

Now that summer has come and gone, does anyone have an update about
when this release might be ready? We're considering re-inventing a
python / C++ wrapper just because the performance is such a blocker on
what we're working on at the moment, but given how long it's been in
the works, it seems like it's such a black hole of work that we're
going to embark on, whereas the magic hammer solution might only just
around the corner.

Kenton Varda

Sep 14, 2010, 2:28:11 PM9/14/10
to Zachary Turner, Protocol Buffers
Petar mostly finished this work, but then left the company.  We're trying to tie up the loose ends so that we can get it out, but everyone is pretty busy.  We'll probably do 2.4.0 within a month or two as we have a new team member who needs to learn the release process, and it should at least include a beta of this work.

Zachary Turner

Sep 14, 2010, 2:32:26 PM9/14/10
to Protocol Buffers
Just out of curiosity, will this be confined to python 2.x still? We
use 3.1, so whenever we have to take a new protobuf release it's
always kind of a process porting it to 3.1.

We can do it again of course, just wondering if 3.x support will be
out of the box.

On Sep 14, 11:28 am, Kenton Varda <ken...@google.com> wrote:
> Petar mostly finished this work, but then left the company.  We're trying to
> tie up the loose ends so that we can get it out, but everyone is pretty
> busy.  We'll probably do 2.4.0 within a month or two as we have a new team
> member who needs to learn the release process, and it should at least
> include a beta of this work.
>
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Zachary Turner <divisorthe...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Reading through old threads, I found one that said that the next
> > release would probably include Petar's python wrapper for native C++
> > protobufs, greatly increasing speed of protubufs when calling from
> > Python.
>
> > Another post mentioned that this was expected to be done sometime this
> > summer.
>
> > Now that summer has come and gone, does anyone have an update about
> > when this release might be ready?  We're considering re-inventing a
> > python / C++ wrapper just because the performance is such a blocker on
> > what we're working on at the moment, but given how long it's been in
> > the works, it seems like it's such a black hole of work that we're
> > going to embark on, whereas the magic hammer solution might only just
> > around the corner.
>
> > --
> > .

Kenton Varda

Sep 14, 2010, 7:53:35 PM9/14/10
to Zachary Turner, Protocol Buffers
No such plans, sorry.

Algirdasss

Sep 28, 2010, 1:35:06 AM9/28/10
to Protocol Buffers
By the way ... What are your plans about Generic Services in next
protobuf releases? Since v2.3 you encourage RPC implementors to write
their own code generators for constructing services. How long are you
planing to maintain generic service implementation? We liked idea of
generic services and we heavily use it in our project, it saves a lot
of time when you don't have to bother about code generation.

On Sep 15, 2:53 am, Kenton Varda <ken...@google.com> wrote:
> No such plans, sorry.
>
> > <protobuf%2Bunsubscr...@googlegroups.c om>

Kenton Varda

Sep 28, 2010, 3:51:16 PM9/28/10
to Algirdasss, Protocol Buffers
They'll probably be around forever.  But internally we have changed the default of *_generic_services to false.  I'm not sure yet if we want to do the same thing in the public release -- internally, we were able to actually update every piece of code that was affected, but obviously we have no such ability publicly.

Zachary Turner

Nov 2, 2010, 1:02:11 PM11/2/10
to Protocol Buffers
Just wanted to follow up on this and see if this is still on target to
be released within a month or so, and still include a beta of the
python C++ work.

Thanks,
Zach

On Sep 14, 11:28 am, Kenton Varda <ken...@google.com> wrote:
> Petar mostly finished this work, but then left the company.  We're trying to
> tie up the loose ends so that we can get it out, but everyone is pretty
> busy.  We'll probably do 2.4.0 within a month or two as we have a new team
> member who needs to learn the release process, and it should at least
> include a beta of this work.
>
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Zachary Turner <divisorthe...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Reading through old threads, I found one that said that the next
> > release would probably include Petar's python wrapper for native C++
> > protobufs, greatly increasing speed of protubufs when calling from
> > Python.
>
> > Another post mentioned that this was expected to be done sometime this
> > summer.
>
> > Now that summer has come and gone, does anyone have an update about
> > when this release might be ready?  We're considering re-inventing a
> > python / C++ wrapper just because the performance is such a blocker on
> > what we're working on at the moment, but given how long it's been in
> > the works, it seems like it's such a black hole of work that we're
> > going to embark on, whereas the magic hammer solution might only just
> > around the corner.
>
> > --
> > .

Kenton Varda

Nov 2, 2010, 10:22:04 PM11/2/10
to Zachary Turner, Protocol Buffers
To be clear, there is no "target" release date.

However, we just pushed this code out to SVN earlier today.  It's still experimental and may or may not be working, but feel free to give it a try.

Pherl Liu

Nov 2, 2010, 9:37:23 PM11/2/10
to Zachary Turner, Protocol Buffers
It's on the SVN head now, see http://code.google.com/p/protobuf/source/detail?r=349